Using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) is one of the smartest and the most effective ways to keep your online activities safe and private. In this post, we’re showing you how to set up a VPN step-by-step.
2 ways to set up a VPN
Option 1 – Automatically (Recommended) – This is the quickest and easiest option. It’s done with just a couple of mouse clicks or taps – easy even if you’re a computer newbie.
Option 2 – Manually – You’ll need certain levels of computer skills and patience to set up a VPN this way.
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to set up a VPN manually, you can do it automatically with NordVPN, one of the most reputable and trusted VPN service providers in the market.
NordVPN, available in a variety of platforms including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android etc, can help you set up a fast, stable and secure VPN in just a couple of clicks/taps!
Here’s how to use NordVPN to set up a VPN automatically:
- Download and install NordVPN.
- Run NordVPN and log in to your NordVPN account.
- Choose a server to connect to.
Now congrats – you’ve successfully set up a VPN on your device!
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type vpn. Then click on Change virtual private networks(VPN).
- Click on Add a VPN connection.
- To add a VPN connection, enter the following information and click Save:
- VPN provider: Windows (built-in);
- Connection name: the name of the VPN service to be used;
- Server name or address: enter the VPN server from your VPN service provider;
- VPN type: Automatic, IKEv2, SSTP, L2TP/IPsec, or PPTP depending on your VPN service;
- Type of sign-in info: your sign-in method.
Click Save once you’ve made sure you’ve provided all the details.
- Click the VPN connection you’ve just added and click Connect.
Now congrats – you’ve successfully set up a VPN on your Windows 10 PC.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type network and sharing. Then click on Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Set up a new connection or network.
- Click Connect to a workplace and click Next.
- Click Use my Internet connection (VPN).
- Enter the following information and click Next:
- Internet address: the IP address of the VPN server or the network’s domain name;
- Destination name: Any name you would like users to see.
- Enter your user name and password. Then click Connect.
Now congrats – you’ve successfully set up a VPN on your Windows 7 PC.
- On your Mac computer, click System Preferences in the dock.
- Click Network.
- Click the + button.
- In Interface, select VPN. Then select the VPN Type provided by your VPN service provider and enter a name in Service Name. Click Create.
- In Server Address, type the IP address or a host name provided by your VPN service;
In Account Name, type your account name (also provided by your VPN service).
Then click Authentication Settings.
- Enter your user name and password in the Username and Password fields. Then click OK.
- Back in the Network window, click Apply. Then click Connect.
Now congrats – you’ve successfully set up a VPN on your Mac PC.
- On your iOS device, open Settings.
- Tap VPN > Add VPN Configuration…
- Enter the required information and tap Done:
Now congrats – you’ve successfully set up a VPN on your iOS device.
- On your Android device, open Settings.
- Under Wireless & Networks, tap More settings.
- Tap VPN.
- Tap the + button.
- Fill in the information required and tap Save.
- Tap the VPN profile you’ve just created.
- Enter your username and password, then tap Connect.
Now congrats – you’ve successfully set up a VPN on your Android device.