The new Black Ops Cold War is lit, but a string of issues come along its release, and one of which is the annoying error code 887a0005. It makes your game crash constantly, especially in the new zombie mode.
Though seems tricky, this error might not be so hard to fix at all. Here we’ve put together some working fixes for you, try them and go back to the field right away.
Try these fixes
You might not need to try them all. Simply work your way down until you find the one that does the trick.
- Scan and repair game files
- Update your graphics driver
- Install all Windows updates
- Disable HAGs (Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling)
- Disable in-game Ray Tracing
Fix 1: Scan and repair game files
The 887a0005 error code could indicate an integrity issue with your game files. In that case, you’ll need to scan and repair all the corrupted or missing files.
Here’s a quick guide for that:
- Open your Blizzard Battle.net client. From the left menu, select Call of Duty: BOCW.
- Click Options and select Scan and Repair from the drop-down menu. Wait until the checking finishes.
You can now launch Black Ops Cold War and see if it crashes again.
If this trick doesn’t help you, simply continue to the next one.
Fix 2: Update your graphics driver
One of the most common causes of this error is that you’re using a faulty or outdated graphics driver. If you want to fully enjoy a new AAA title, first make sure your graphics driver is up to date.
To get the latest graphics driver, you can search and download it on the manufacturer website (AMD or NVIDIA), and then install it manually. But if you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for your exact graphics card, and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly:
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system.(This requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All. If you don’t want to pay for the Pro version, you can still download and install all the drivers you need with the free version; you just have to download them one at a time, and manually install them, the normal Windows way.)
Once you’ve updated your graphics driver, restart your PC and check if the error code reoccurs.
If updating the GPU driver doesn’t solve your problem, simply move on to the next solution.
Fix 3: Install all Windows updates
Microsoft has just released the 20H2 update for Windows 10, including some regular security patches and loads of new features. We always recommend players to keep their system up to date, as it could help avoid lots of troubles.
And it’s fairly easy to update:
- On your keyboard, press Win+I (the Windows logo key and the i key) at the same time to open the Windows Settings app. Click Update & Security.
- Click Check for updates. Then wait for Windows to download and install all available updates.
Once you’ve installed all the system updates, restart your PC and test the gameplay in Black Ops Cold War.
If the updates don’t stop the crash, you can take a look at the next fix.
Fix 4: Disable HAGs (GeForce 10 series or later/Radeon 5600 or 5700 series)
In the 2004 version of Windows 10, Microsoft rolled out a new feature called Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling, which will allegedly improve applications performance. To unlock this feature, you must be using the latest 2004 version Windows, a GeForce 10 series or later/Radeon 5600 or 5700 series graphics card along with the latest GPU driver.
But according to some veterans, HAGs is possibly the culprit that generates the 887a0005 error code. You can try to disable HAGs and see how it goes.
- In the empty area of your desktop, right-click and select Display settings.
- Under the Multiple displays section, click Graphics settings.
- Under the Default settings section, click Change default graphics settings.
- Turn off Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling.
If this method doesn’t fix your issue, simply check out the next one.
Fix 5: Disable in-game Ray Tracing
In some cases, this error code shows up when your GPU is overloaded. Aside from that, Black Ops Cold War is still a new title, which means there’s still room for improvement. Ray Tracing might sound fancy, but according to some gamers it can be unstable on Black Ops Cold War. So you can try disabling this feature and check if the error code disappears.
- Launch Black Ops Cold War and open SETTINGS.
- Navigate to the GRAPHICS tab. Under the RAY TRACING section, disable all three options.
- Restart the game and test the gameplay.
So these are the solutions to your error code 887a0005 in Black Ops Cold War. Hopefully, you have stopped the crash and can enjoy this $60 masterpiece. If you have any questions or ideas, feel free to jot them down in the comment section.