Crusader Kings 3 is available now! But players are complaining about the crashing issue. If you happened to be one of them, don’t worry. Here are some fixes for you.
Try these fixes:
You might not need to try them all; simply walk your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Launch the game from the installation folder
- Turn off Windows Defender
- Temporarily disable antivirus software
- Run the game as administrator
- Update your graphics drivers
- Perform a clean boot
- Verify the game files on Steam/ Xbox Game Pass
- Reinstall your game
Before getting started
Before you take any troubleshooting step, make sure that you update Crusader Kings III. The latest game patch notes will fix the known bugs.
After updating your game, restart your computer. If this doesn’t do the trick, try the fixes below to see which one works for you.
Fix 1: Launch the game from the installation folder
If you experience crashes while playing your game, it might be an issue related to compatibility. Launching it from the installation folder may fix it. Here’s how you can do this:
1) Press Windows logo key + R at the same time to open File Explorer.
2) Click on This PC > Windows (C:).
3) Double-click on the Program Files (×86) folder.
4) Scroll down and double-click on the Steam folder.
5) Open Steamapps folder.
6) Open Common folder.
7) Navigate to folder Crusader Kings III > binaries. In the binaries folder, double-click on ck3.exe to launch the game.
Fix 2: Turn off Windows Defender
Windows Defender can protect your computer from unknown attacks. But it might also fail to recognize and trust your game. So in this case, you should turn it off.
1) On the left end of the taskbar, click the Start icon and then click Settings.
2) Click Updates & Security.
3) On the left pane, click Windows Security. Then click Virus & threat protection.
4) Scroll to Virus & threat protection settings and click Manage settings.
5) In the Real-time protection section, click the toggle button and turn it to Off.
Fix 3: Temporarily disable antivirus software
There will be conflicts between the antivirus scans and you enjoying the game. So to avoid this, you’re supposed to try temporarily disabling your antivirus software. This method has proved to be working for many players.
To do this, simply click the links below and follow the instructions to disable the antivirus software you’re running:
Fix 4: Run the game as administrator
If you’ve been experiencing constant crashes while playing the game, running it as administrator may help. You can do this by simply following these steps:
1) Right-click on the Crusader Kings III shortcut on your desktop and select Properties.
2) Click the Compatibility tab and click Run this program as an administrator. Click Apply and OK.
After applying the changes, launch your game. If the issue persists, try the next fix.
Fix 5: Update your graphics drivers
If your graphics drivers are corrupt or out-of-date, you wouldn’t be able to have great gaming experience. Keeping your drivers updated, especially if you’re into gaming, is very important to get rid of bugs like the game crashes as well as to prevent new ones from developing.
Option 1: Manually update your drivers
Manufacturers keep releasing the new updates for the graphics drivers. All you need to do is to go to the official website and download the drivers corresponding to your system.
Here are the links you can simply click to navigate to the download center. Just choose the one you need and follow the instructions to download and install the drivers.
Option 2: Automatically update your drivers
If you update the drivers on your own, you might risk downloading the wrong versions. So if you don’t feel like doing it, we recommend you use Driver Easy. It’s a useful tool that detects, downloads, and installs the correct drivers for your computer. With Driver Easy, updating drivers becomes quite easy.
You can follow the steps below:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the video driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version with full support and a 30-day money-back guarantee and You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
4) Restart your computer and check if the crashing issue persists.
Fix 6: Perform a clean boot
Some applications would use an overlay, which can cause Crusader Kings 3 to crash. You can manually stop them from running. But alternatively, you can perform a clean boot to ensure that no other applications are interfering with your game.
To do so, you can:
1) Press Windows logo key and R together on your keyboard to open the Run box.
2) Type msconfig and hit Enter.
3) Select the Services tab and check Hide all Microsoft services. Then click Disable all.
4) On the same window, select Startup tab and then click Open Task Manager.
5) Under the Startup tab in Task Manager, right-click on each Enabled Startup item, then click Disable. After that, close the window.
6) Under the Startup tab of System Configuration, click OK.
7) Restart your computer and it’ll be in a clean boot environment. Till then, you can pinpoint which apps are in conflict with your game.
Fix 7: Verify your game files
If you’re using Steam
1) Under the LIBRARY tab, right-click on Crusader Kings III.
2) Select Properties.
3) Click on the LOCAL FILES tab and click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES….
This verification process would take a while to finish. After that, play your game to check if the issue is solved.
If you’re using Xbox Game Pass
1) Press the Windows logo key and search for the Crusader Kings III app.
2) Right-click on the app and select More > App settings.
3) Under the Reset section, click Repair.
Fix 8: Reinstall your game
In many cases, uninstalling and reinstalling the game can resolve many issues including the crashing issue. So you can give it a shot on Crusader Kings 3.
Here are the steps you can take:
1) Press the Windows logo key on your keyboard and find the Crusader Kings III app.
2) Right-click on the app and select Uninstall.
3) When a window pops up, click Uninstall.
4) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and E at the same time.
5) Double-click on folder Documents > Paradox Interactive.
6) Delete the Crusader Kings III folder.
7) Download and reinstall the game from your gaming platform.
9) Try launching the game.
So these are the fixes for Crusader Kings 3 crashing issue. Hopefully, they work for you and you can play the game smoothly. If you have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to leave us a comment.😊