It’s so frustrating if your Dota 2 is always lagging while you’re gaming. But don’t worry. Many players have reduced the lagging in Dota 2 with the solutions in this article. So check it out.
Try these fixes:
You may not have to try them all. Just work your way down the list until you find the one that works.
- End your background programs
- Update your graphics driver
- Configure your in-game video settings
- Change the power plan of your computer
- Adjust your proxy settings
- Clear Steam cache and cookies
Fix 1: End your background programs
Your problem might occur if there are too many applications and background processes running on your computer and hogging your network resources. Follow the instructions below to check for and turn off these processes:
If you’re on Windows 7…
1) Right-click your taskbar and select Start Task Manager.
2) Click the Processes tab. Then, check your current CPU and memory usage to see what processes are consuming your resources most.
3) Right-click the resource-consuming process and select End Process Tree.
After you close unwanted programs, restart your game to test your problem. If your problem still exists, try fix 2, below.
If you’re on Windows 8 or 10…
1) Right-click your taskbar and select Task Manager.
2) Check your current CPU and memory usage to see what processes are consuming your resources most.
3) Right-click the resource-consuming process and select End task.
Relaunch your game to see if this has resolved your problem. If not, don’t worry. There are still 5 more fixes to try.
Fix 2: Update your graphics driver
One of the most common causes of Dota 2 lagging is an outdated or a faulty graphics driver. It’s essential that you have the latest graphics driver at all times.
There are two ways you can get the right driver for your graphics product: manually or automatically.
Manual driver update – You can update your graphics driver manually by going to the manufacturer’s website for your graphics product, and searching for the most recent correct driver. Be sure to choose only driver that is compatible with your Windows version.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your graphics driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your graphics product, and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the graphics driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
Fix 3: Configure your in-game video settings
Improper video setting can also cause Dota 2 to lag. If that’s the problem for you, you’ll need to optimize the video settings in Steam. Here is how to do it:
1) Run your game.
2) Click the Settings button.
3) Click the VIDEO tab.
4) Modify the video settings following the screenshot below.
5) Click APPLY.
Relaunch your game to test your problem. If your issue persists, try the next fix.
Fix 4: Change the power plan of your computer
Game lag issues might happen when your computer slows down to save energy. Try changing your Power plan to High Performance to see if this fixes your problem. Here is how:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type control. Then, click Control panel.
2) Under View by, click Large icons.
3) Select Power Options.
4) Select High Performance.
5) Restart your computer, and then relaunch Dota 2 to test your problem.
Dota 2 should be able to run smoothly after the reboot. If it still can’t works properly, try the fix, below.
Fix 5: Adjust your proxy settings
If the fixes above didn’t work, try changing proxy settings to reduce your Dota 2 lag. Here is how:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type internet options.
2) Click Internet Options.
3) Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN settings.
4) Uncheck Automatically detect settings and click OK.
Relaunch your game to see if this fixed your problem. If Dota 2 still lags while you’re gaming, check the fix below.
Fix 6: Clear Steam cache and cookies
This issue could happen if you’ve accumulated too many cache files and cookies on Steam. Try clearing cache and cookies to get rid of lag. Follow the instructions below:
1) Right-click Steam icon, and then select Run as administrator.
2) Click Steam, and then select Settings.
3) Click Web Browser and click DELETE WEB BROWSER CACHE.
4) Click OK.
5) Click DELETE ALL BROWSER COOKIES.
6) Click OK.
7) Click Downloads, and then click CLEAR DOWNLOAD CACHE.
8) Click OK.
9) Restart your game to see if this resolved your problem.
Hopefully, this article helped in resolving your problem. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below.