Genshin Impact is finally out. But when the elegant animation makes the game too fun to put down, many travelers have started complaining about the constant crashes with Genshin Impact. So if you happen to be one of them, simply try these fixes and resume your journey right away.
Try these fixes
You might not need to try them all. Simply work your way down until you find the one that works for you.
- Make sure your specs meets the requirements
- Install all Windows updates
- Update your graphics driver
- Run Genshin Impact as administrator
- Change in-game resolution
- Lower in-game graphics settings
Fix 1: Make sure your specs meets the requirements
Genshin Impact is, by no means, a graphically demanding game, but having a great gaming setup always gives you a leg up. Just before you start any advanced troubleshooting, make sure your PC specs meet the minimum requirements. If they don’t, then maybe it’s time for an upgrade.
|Operating system:||Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit or Windows 10 64-bit|
|Processor:||Intel Core i5 or equivalent|
|Memory:||8 GB RAM|
|Graphics card:||NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 1030 and higher|
|Storage:||Please reserve 30 GB of space|
|Operating system:||Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, or Windows 10 64-bit|
|Processor:||Intel Core i7 equivalent or higher|
|Memory:||16 GB RAM|
|Graphics card:||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB and higher|
|Storage:||Please reserve 30 GB of space|
If Genshin Impact crashes on your high-end gaming PC, please continue to the next fix.
Fix 2: Install all Windows updates
Windows updates include system stability improvements, and could very well solve the software conflicts in your system. If the last time you check for system updates feels like ages ago, definitely do it now as it might save you a lot of troubles.
Here’s how you can install system updates on Windows 10, 8 or 7:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and I (the i key) at the same time to open the Windows Settings app. Click Update & Security.
- Click Check for updates. It might take up to an hour for Windows to download and install available updates.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and I (the i key) at the same time. From the right menu, click Change PC settings.
- From the left menu, select Windows Update. Click Check for updates now.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key. Select Control Panel.
- Select System and Security.
- Click Windows Update.
- Click Install updates. It’ll take a while (up to 1 hour) for Windows to install all the updates.
After installing all the system updates, restart your PC and test the gameplay with Genshin Impact.
If this method doesn’t solve your case, simply check out the next one.
Fix 3: Update your graphics driver
One of the most common causes of the crash is corrupted or outdated graphics drivers. GPU manufacturers keep releasing driver updates in response to compatibility issues with new games. So if you can’t remember the last time you check for driver updates, definitely do it now for it could fix your issue right away.
There’re basically 2 ways you can update your graphics driver: manually or automatically.
Option 1: Update your graphics driver manually
To manually update your graphics driver, first you need to know what GPU you’re using, and what’s the manufacturer. Then you can go to the manufacturer’s website:
Then search for your GPU model. Be sure to download the latest correct driver that’s compatible with your operating system.
Option 2: Update your graphics driver automatically (Recommended)
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your video drivers manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for your exact graphics card, and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly:
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system.
(This requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All. If you don’t want to pay for the Pro version, you can still download and install all the drivers you need with the free version; you just have to download them one at a time, and manually install them, the normal Windows way.)
Once you’ve updated your graphics driver, restart your PC and see if Genshin Impact crashes again.
If updating your graphics driver doesn’t help your case, please take a look at the next method.
Fix 4: Run Genshin Impact as administrator
Genshin Impact crashing to desktop may indicate a permission issue. Running Genshin Impact as an administrator is a possible solution to the crash.
- Go to your installation path of Genshin Impact, then navigate to Genshin Impact\Genshin Impact Game.
- Right-click GenshinImpact.exe and select Properties.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab. Under the Settings section, check the boxes next to Disable fullscreen optimizations (if you’re on Windows 10) and Run this program as an administrator. Click OK to save the changes.
- Run Genshin Impact and see if the crash has gone.
If this fix failed to solve the crash, simply undo these changes and move on to the next solution.
Fix 5: Change in-game resolution
Some travelers reported that they managed to stop the crash by changing the game’s resolution to 720p. This is a reasonable measure that will ease the pressure on your GPU. So you can try the same to see if it helps.
And here’s how:
- Launch Genshin Impact. Press Esc during gamplay and click the gear icon from the left.
- From the left menu, Select Graphics. Change the settings of Display Mode to 1280×720 Windowed.
- Continue your game and see if it stops crashing.
If this method doesn’t do the trick for you, please try the next one below.
Fix 6: Lower in-game graphics settings
It’s a general principle that new games tend to be buggy, and the developers are still working to improve the graphics compatibility. According to some travelers, lowering in-game graphics settings could stop the crash right away. So if you don’t mind playing at low graphics settings, you can go right ahead and tweak them.
And just for your reference, here’s my graphics settings:
So these are the fixes for your Genshin Impact crashing issue. Hopefully, you’ve stopped the crash and can continue your quest. And if you have any questions or suggestions, don’t forget to drop a comment.