Google Chrome is one of the most popular browsers in the world. But you may meet the situation that the website you want to access is denied by Google Chrome. Yes, it’s possible that Google might block some sites for different reasons. To fix this issue, you can try the below methods.
- Unblock a website from the Restricted sites list
- Reset your Hosts file to unblock websites
- Use a VPN to unblock websites
- Use Google Chrome extensions to unblock websites
Method 1: Unblock a website from the Restricted sites list
Check your Google Chrome proxy settings first. The website you want to access may be added into the Restricted sites list. If this website is in the Restriction sites list, you can simply remove it to solve the problem.
If you can’t find the website in the Restricted sites list, try the next method.
- Launch Google Chrome, click the three dots button in the upper right corner, then click Settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click Advanced.
- Under System, click Open proxy settings.
- In the Security tab, select Restricted sites then click Sites.
- If the website you want to access is on the list, you can select it and click Remove. Then click OK to finish setting.
- Restart Google Chrome to check the problem is solved or not.
Method 2: Reset your Hosts file to unblock websites
If the first method can’t help, you can take a look at your Hosts file. The Hosts file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. It’s located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. If this file is modified, you may have problems.
- Right-click on the hosts and open it with Notepad. If you see the website which you want to access with the numerals 127.0.0.1, your hosts file may have been modified, so you can’t access the site.
- Select the entire line that contains the URL and delete it. Save the changes and close the Notepad.
- Restart Google Chrome to see whether it takes effect.
Method 3: Use a VPN to unblock websites
Since the Internet restrictions vary from countries, sometimes Google Chrome blocks a website based on government or authorities Internet restrictions. So if you can’t access the site for this reason, you need a VPN to pretend that you’re located in another place where you can visit the site.
You can use the VPN you already have, if you don’t have one, it’s recommended to use NordVPN.
NordVPN can bypass geo-restrictions to get you to access the website you desired, keeps you protected from snooping eyes, and secures your data to keep your online activity private. It’s safe and easy to use!
- Download NordVPN in your device.
- Run NordVPN and open it.
- Connect to a server in a chosen location.
Method 4: Use Google Chrome extensions to unblock websites
Installing Google Chrome extensions can help you unblock websites on Chrome. In fact, it works in the same way as Method 3. The difference is that the Google Chrome extension is only available for Google Chrome.
There are hundreds of VPN extensions for you to choose to find the one that works for you. Here we take Zenmate as an example.
- Launch Google Chrome, click the three dots button in the upper right corner, then click More tools and find Extensions.
- Open the Extensions menu on the left side and click Open Chrome Web Store.
- Search Zenmate and then click Add to Chrome.
- Sign up and run the extension.
We hope you find the above information helpful. And if you have any ideas, suggestions, or questions, feel free to leave a comment below.