Fail to connect your devices with Windows 10 using the Prolific USB to Serial adapter cable? Besides, you might notice there’s a yellow warning mark with Prolific USB to Serial driver in Device Manager. That could be frustrating…
Don’t panic. Certainly, you’re not the only one. We’ve seen many Windows users reporting this Prolific USB to Serial driver not working on Windows issue. More importantly, you can easily fix it with the solutions here. Read on and see how…
Try these fixes:
- Update your Prolific USB to Serial driver to the latest version
- Roll your Prolific USB to Serial driver back to an older version
Your not working Prolific USB to Serial driver problem could be caused by the corrupted, missing, or outdated driver itself. So it would help if you update the driver to the latest version.
You can update your Prolific USB to Serial driver to the latest version either manually or automatically.
- Manual driver update – You can update your Prolific USB to Serial driver manually by going to the official Prolific website, and searching for the most recent correct driver. Be sure to choose the only driver that is compatible with your Windows version.
- Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience, or computer skills to update your Prolific USB to Serial driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your exact Prolific adapter, and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly:
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click Update next to the flagged Prolific USB to Serial driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
You may note that up-to-date drivers always keep your devices working in the best condition. But sometimes the latest driver doesn’t work with old hardware.
When you upgrade your older Windows system to the latest version or perform updates directly on Windows, the Prolific USB to Serial driver also gets updated, and if it doesn’t work with your old hardware, you might have this problem. So you can try to downgrade your Prolific USB to Serial driver.
Here’s how you can do it:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo + R keys simultaneously to open the Run dialog box.
- Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
- Double-click Ports(COM & LPT), then right-click on your Prolific USB to Serial driver to select Update driver.
- Click Browse my computer for driver software.
- Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Select an older version on the Model list. Then Next.
Then the driver you select would be installed on your Windows 10 computer automatically.
Once it’s done, connect your device again and see if it goes well.
Hopefully this helps. Feel free to comment below with your own experiences.