If you’re greeted with this This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. error after upgrading Windows, you’re not alone. Many users have reported the same.
The good news is, it can be easily fixed!
Why does This Device cannot find enough free resources that it can use occur
Error code 12 occurs when two hardware pieces installed on your computer happen to be assigned same input/output port(or the same DMA channel).
This conflict is often indicated by a yellow exclamation mark on the device name in Device Manager General tab.
How to fix This Device cannot find enough free resources that it can use
Both fixes below work in Windows 10, 8 and 7.
Fix 1: Roll back the problem driver
One useful trick for this This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12) problem is to roll back the faulty driver. To do so:
- In Device Manager, double-click on the problem driver.
- Click the Driver tab and then click Roll Back Driver.
Click Yes if asked for confirmation. Then the driver will be restored to a previous version.
Restart you computer and check if that device works properly.
Fix 2: Reinstall the problem driver
If it’s your WiFi adapter(or network adapter) that gives code 12, then you might have to connect your PC to a wired(wireless) network for the troubleshooting.
- In Device Manager, right-click on the problem driver and click Uninstall device.
- Check the box and then click Uninstall in the pop-up window.
- Restart your computer.
- Download Driver Easy and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
You can also click Update to do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual.
- Restart your computer and hopefully the code 12 (This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use.) error is gone by now.
That’s it – 2 easy fixes for this This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use problem. Hope you get your machine up and running and feel free to drop us a comment if you have any further questions or ideas to share with us. 🙂