Having connection problems with the Ralink RT3290 Wi-Fi Adapter? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Many people have experienced the same issue after they update their operating system. The most possible reason is that the driver for Ralink RT3290 Wi-Fi Adapter hasn’t been updated to the latest version.
Unfortunately it’s quite hard for a computer newbie to find and download the correct driver, not to mention installing it on the computer. So here we’ll show you how to update your Ralink RT3290 driver step by step.
How to download and update your Ralink RT3290 driver
You can download and update the Ralink RT3290 driver both automatically and manually.
- Download and update your Ralink RT3290 driver automatically (Recommended)
- Download and update your Ralink RT3290 driver manually (For Windows 8/7 Only)
Option 1: Download and update your Ralink RT3290 driver automatically (Recommended)
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update the Ralink RT3290 driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy takes care of it all.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All). Or if you just want to update the Ralink RT3290 driver for now, simply click on the Update button next to it.
Driver Easy will provide you with the Ralink RT3290 driver compatible with different Windows versions including Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7.
You can do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual. Please refer to this post that helps you update drivers with the FREE version:
Option 1 can be used in all versions of Windows. Still, if you wish to download and update your Ralink RT3290 driver manually, please read on and try Option 2 (it only works for Windows 8 and Windows 7).
Option 2: Download and update your Ralink RT3290 driver manually (For Windows 8/7 Only)
Ralink Technology, Corp. was acquired by MediaTek in 2011, which indicates that you can no longer find the official website of Ralink. Still, you may locate the corresponding driver for Ralink RT3290 Wi-Fi Adapter in mediatek.com.
To find out the correct driver, you must first know some basic information about your operating system. If you do know it, please skip to Step 3. If you don’t, please read on.
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows Logo Key and R at the same time to fire up the Run box. Type msinfo32 and click OK.
2) Here pops up the System Information window. In its left pane, click System Summary and you’ll see the basic information of your PC in the right. Take a note of the OS Name and System Type items: the former represents the version of your system such as Windows 10 and Windows 8; the latter shows you whether you’re using a 32-bit or 64-bit version. For 32-bit, the system type will be “x86-based PC” and for 64-bit, it becomes “x64-based PC”. For example, this is a screenshot of Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit).
3) After knowing the exact version of your computer, it’s time to search for the driver online and download it. Now please find your way to the official website of MediaTek, or you can just click on the site we offer you here: https://www.mediatek.com/
4) There’s a search bar at the top of the website. Type RT3290, and then hit Enter on your keyboard.
5) Here’s the results of RT3290. Click Read More.
6) Click on the small blue icon below Download Drivers.
7) Wait until the downloading process finishes. Then open the folder where you’ve just downloaded the driver files.
8) Open the driver files. Then double-click Disk 1 > drivers and choose the driver designed for your Windows version. Unfortunately MediaTek doesn’t provide the corresponding driver for Windows 10 users, so if you’re using Windows 10, please go to Option 1.
9) Make sure you open the right files according to your PC version. In the end, you’ll see a file as follows.
When you double-click devcon64.exe, you’ll be prompted to decompress the folders. Select Extract all.
10) Click Browse… to select a destination folder in your PC. Don’t forget to check Show extracted files when complete. Then hit the Extract button to decompress the driver files.
11) After the extracted file pops up, copy the address of that file.
12) On your keyboard, press the Windows Logo Key and R at the same time to open the Run box. Type devmgmt.msc and click OK.
13) In the Device Manager window, double-click Network adapters to expand the list. Then right-click on the Ralink RT3290 Wi-Fi Adapter result to open the context menu.
Select Update driver.
14) Click Browse my computer for driver software.
15) Paste the file address copied in Step 11 onto the address bar. Remember to check the Include subfolders box. Then hit the Next button.
16) Now Windows will search for the driver and install it automatically. When everything’s done, click Finish. Then restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
After all these steps, your driver for the Ralink RT3290 Wi-Fi Adapter should be updated to the latest version. Please check the status of your Ralink RT3290 Wi-Fi Adapter in Device Manager. If there’s still a yellow warning icon next to the device, which means that your driver hasn’t been installed properly, you can try Option 1 to see if the problem still persists.
Hopefully you find this article useful. If you have any problems or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below. Thanks for reading!