It’s popular to use WD(Western Digital) products for storing the huge amount of your files such as music, videos, photos,etc. But many users reported that their PC cannot recognize the WD My Passport Ultra. Not to worry.
Here in this post, we will be showing you the tried-and-true solutions for you to resolve WD My Passport Ultra not detected error.
Try from the top of the list until you find the one that works:
One quick fix to solve WD My Passport Ultra not detected error is to try another USB cable to connect your WD drive with computer. Sometime the USB cable cannot work with every computer, thus make sure to try a new one to see if it works.
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R (at the same time) to invoke the Run command.
2) Type diskmgmt.msc in the box to open Disk Management.
3) Right-click on your WD drive and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths…
3) On the pop-up window, click Add icon and choose the drive letter beside Assign the following driver letter. Then click OK to save the setting.
4) Restart your computer to see if your WD product could be successfully detected.
If the USB controller on your Windows is old, corrupted or missing, your WD product can not be detected then. You can solve it through updating your USB controller software.
There are two ways you can get the right drivers for your USB controller: manually or automatically.
Manual driver update – You can update your USB controller software manually by going to your computer manufacturer’s website, and searching for the most recent correct driver for your USB controller. Be sure to choose only driver that is compatible with your variant of Windows versions.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your USB controller driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for your exact USB controller, and your variant of Windows versions, and it will download and install them correctly:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the flagged WD device driver to automatically download and install the correct version of that driver (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
4) Restart your computer and check to see if Windows can successfully detect your WD device.
Hopefully you find this article helpful. If you have any questions, ideas or suggestions. Feel free to leave a comment below.