Unable to initialize OpenGL [Fixed]
When you are going to launch games on Steam, like Call of Duty, you must feel irritated to see the error: Unable to initialize OpenGL. Do not worry! This article introduces three methods to fix Unable to initialize OpenGL.
How Do I Fix Unable to initialize OpenGL?
What is OpenGL?
OpenGL, short for Open Graphics Library, is a cross-language, cross-platform application programming interface, to render 2D and 3D vector graphics. Applications use OpenGL in computer-aided design, virtual reality, scientific visualization, and video games, etc.
If OpenGL failed to initialize in your games, you can firstly restart the games to have a try. There may be something wrong when launching the games. Follow these steps:
The graphics card issue can generally cause the problem of unable to initialize OpenGL. If the video driver in your computer is missing or out of date, it can result in this problem and stop running the application or game. You can try to update the graphics card driver to fix the error.
There are two ways to update the graphics drivers.
You can go to the manufacturer’s website of your graphics card, find the exact graphics card driver for your graphics adapter, and install it in your Windows.
You’ll need some computer skills and patience to update your drivers this way. You need to know for sure the right the driver online that matches with your Windows OS, download it and install it step by step.
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update the graphics card driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
With Driver Easy, you don’t have to search and find what drivers needed in your PC, nor to update drivers step by step. It can considerably help with almost all the issues related to drivers.
Furthermore, you can update your graphics card drivers automatically with either the FREE or Pro version of Driver Easy. It only takes 2 simple clicks with the Pro version (and you will get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee).
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Then Driver Easy will scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the driver name to download and install the correct driver (you can do that with the FREE version). Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the problem drivers (you can do that with Pro version, and you will be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
4) After updating driver, restart your PC, and open your game/application to see if it works now.
This method works for many users. If you encounter the error Failed to initialize OpenGL, you can try this solution to fix it.
4) Change FullScreen from true to false.
5) On the same settings pane, lower your resolution to what your screen resolution is.
For example, if your screen resolution is 1280×768, you can change ResolutionWidth to 1280, and change ResolutionHeight to 768.
6) Save the settings and restart the game to see if it works.
These are the 3 easy methods to solve Unable to initialize OpenGL error. If you have any questions, feel free to comment below and we’ll see what more we can do to help.