USB Ports Not Working On HP Laptop [SOLVED]
USB ports not working on HP laptop ? You’re not alone. Many users have reported the same. But the good news is, you can fix it easily!
3 fixes for USB ports not working on HP laptop
All the fixes below work in Windows 10, 8 and 7. Just work your way down the list until your USB ports work properly again.
- Disconnect ALL USB devices and re-seat your battery
- Change power management settings for USB Root Hubs
- Update the drivers for your USB devices
Sometimes this USB ports not working problem is only a hiccup that can be easily solved by removing all the peripherals and reseating the battery before getting your HP laptop back to where it is.
- Remove ALL the USB devices from your HP laptop.
- Power off your laptop and disconnect it from power supplies.
- Carefully remove the battery from the back of the laptop. (You might also need to check the manual if you’re unsure how this is done).
- Wait 10 minutes before you seat the battery back in.
- Insert ALL the USB devices and recharge your PC.
- Boot up your PC and check if your USB devices work as fine.
Tweaking the properties in USB Root Hub devices is another proven effective way to solve our USB ports not working on HP laptop issue. To do this:
- On the keyboard of the target computer, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then copy & paste devmgmt.msc into the box and click OK.
- Double-click on Universal Serial Bus controllers > the first item of USB Root Hub.
- CLICK the box before Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power whether it’s checked or unchecked. Then click OK.
- Repeat this fix for ALL the USB Root Hubs on your Device Manager.
- Reconnect your USB devices to the USB ports and see if they’re working properly.
This should probably solve your All USB ports not working issue on your HP Windows 10/8/7 problem. But if the matter persists, there’s one more fix for you to try.
If the 2 fixes above didn’t prove helpful in troubleshooting the USB not working issue, then chances are high that you have the corrupted/outdated/missing drivers for your USB devices. So we might have to update the drivers to the latest version to fix it. If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your drivers manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- You can upgrade to the Pro version and click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of ALL the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system.
You can also click Update to do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual.
- Restart your computer and see if the USB ports on your HP laptop spring to life now.
Did the fixes above come in handy in solving the USB ports not working in Windows 10/8/7 on HP laptop issue for you? Drop us a comment and share your experience with other users! 🙂