This post shows you how to set up a VPN in Chrome OS and on Google Chrome browser.
Using a VPN on Chrome can protect your online activities from spams and snooping eyes and enable you to access to the geo-blocked content.
Try these methods
Here are methods you can try to use VPN on Chrome browser or your Chromebook.
Setting up a VPN extension for your Google Chrome is the fast and easy way to use VPN for Chrome. All you need to do is to install the VPN extension for Chrome.
Many VPN service providers develop the VPN extensions for Chrome, and also other web browsers. So you can search on the Internet to find the one. If you don’t have the time or patience, you can try NordVPN.
NordVPN secures your browsing with a lightweight privacy solution and encrypts your online activities. It’s easy and safe to use on multiple platforms.
Click NordVPN coupon to get NordVPN coupon code first, then follow the steps below to download and use NordVPN.
- Go to NordVPN, scroll down and click the Google Chrome icon.
- Click Add to Chrome.
- You’ll be redirected to the Chrome webstore, then click Add to Chrome. Then conform your choice.
- Wait for it to download and install in your Google Chrome browser.
- Once complete, click the NordVPN icon at the upper right corner, and enter your NordVPN account and password.
Tadah, now you’re good to go.
Installing the VPN extension on your Google Chrome is the quickest way to use VPN. However, the drawback is you can only use VPN in Google Chrome, and using VPN on other browsers or applications is not available. So if you want to use VPN in your Chromebook, head to the next method.
You can set up VPN in your Chromebook, which can take some time and patience since the VPN applications for Chrome OS doesn’t exist. So follow the steps below to set it up:
- Subscribe to a VPN service. You can choose the one with good review on the Internet. If you don’t have the time or patience, try NordVPN.
- Click on the user icon at the bottom right corner in your Chromebook.
- Click Settings.
- Click Add connection under the Internet connection section, then select Add OpenVPN / L2TP….
- In the popup window, enter the appropriate information: Note: you can get the required information from your VPN service provider.
- Server hostname: your VPN server address
- Service name: enter a name for your VPN connection
- Provider type: either choose L2TP/IPSec + pre-shared key or L2TP/IPSec + user certificate. You can get the pre-shared key or user certificate from your VPN service provider.
- Pre-shared key: if you choose L2TP/IPSec + pre-shared key as the provider type, you should enter the key here.
- User certificate: if you choose L2TP/IPSec + user certificate, you’ll be prompted to install the user certificate in your Chromebook.
- User name: your account name when subscribing to the VPN service
- Password: your password to log into your VPN service
- Check the box next to Save identify and password, then click Connect.
Then you can connect to your VPN in your Chromebook. Enjoy your secure online activities, including web surfing and video streaming!