If you’re one of the “victims” of the WiFi connected but still no Internet access problem, you’re not alone. Thousand of users have reported the same. But luckily, they’ve successfully tackled the problem with the following fixes. So read on and check them out…
Fixes for WiFi connected but no Internet
Click the link as the names suggest and work your way down until the connects to Wifi but no Internet problem is resolved.
If all of the device(computers, mobiles, tablets etc.) connect to your WiFi just fine but you still can’t access the Internet on any one of them, then your router is most likely to blame. To fix this:
- Restart your router (and modem if they’re separate). First turn off both of them and wait for 30 seconds. Then turn on the router and 1 minute later the modem. Wait for 5 minutes and see if the Internet is finally working on your devices. If no, move on to 2).
- Check the WAN Internet cable and see if it’s damaged or simply not connected to the router.
- Check the lights on your modem and see if the DSL light(Internet light) is on and the Wifi indicator is blinking properly. Contact your Internet service provider for professional help in troubleshooting if needed.
If other devices can connect to WiFi and work properly while your PC just acts up and won’t connect to the Internet, then try the fixes one by one below until the problem goes away.
- Change your DNS server address
- Flush your DNS
- Update your Wi-Fi adapter driver
- Disable Fast Startup
- Uninstall conflict apps
A possible cause for this issue is the unstable network connection or the misconfiguration of DNS servers settings. So we might have to change the DNS server address to see if it gets fixed:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time. Then copy & paste control /name Microsoft.NetworkAndSharingCenter into the box and click OK.
- Click Change adapter settings.
- Right-click on Wi-Fi and click Properties.
- Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click Properties.
- Click Use the following DNS server addreses,
- for Preferred DNS server, enter 18.104.22.168;
- for Alternate DNS server, enter 22.214.171.124.
- Click OK.
- Check your network and hopefully it’s working fine now.
Sometimes this Internet connectivity issue happens because of DNS cache and network conflicts. So you should flush your DNS to see if this fixes the problem.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then type cmd and press Enter.
- Type the following commands and press Enter after each one:
- Close the window. Then check if the connects to Wifi but no internet issue has gone.
This WiFi connected but no Internet problem may occur when you’re using the wrong WiFi driver or it’s out of date. So you should update your WiFi driver to see if it fixes the problem. If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update the driver manually, especially when you don’t have Internet access to the said computer, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy is a driver updater that automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. It also comes with the Offline Scan feature that helps you update your WiFi or network drivers when your computer doesn’t have Internet connection.
Here’s how to use the Offline Scan feature to update your WiFi driver:
1) On a computer with Internet access, download Driver Easy. Then save the setup file of Driver Easy in a USB flash drive and transfer it to the target computer (the computer without Internet connection).
2) On the target computer, run the Driver Easy setup file to install Driver Easy.
3) Run Driver Easy and click Tools in the left pane.
4) Click Offline Scan. Then select Offline Scan (on the computer without Internet access) and click Continue.
5) Click Browse…, then choose a destination folder in your computer to save the offline scan file. After that, click Offline Scan.
6) A window will pop up telling you that the offline scan file has been saved. Click OK to confirm.
7) Open the folder where you’ve saved the offline scan file. Then save the file in a USB flash drive and transfer it to another computer with Internet connection.
8) On the computer with Internet connection, (download and) install Driver Easy.
9) Run Driver Easy and click Tools in the left pane.
10) Click Offline Scan. Then select Upload Offline Scan File (on the computer with Internet access) and click Continue.
11) Click Browse… to locate the offline scan file. Then click Continue.
12) Click the Download button next to your wireless driver.
13) Wait until the computer completes. When it does, save the downloaded file to your USB drive and transfer it to the target computer.
14) You can follow Step 3 of Driver Easy Help to manually install your WiFi driver.
15) Remember to restart your computer for the changes to take effect even if you’re not asked to.
16) Hopefully after updating the driver for your WiFi adapter, you get the Internet up and running again. But if it still doesn’t work, don’t worry – here’re a few more fixes for you to try.
Fast Startup is a feature in Windows 10 that helps our computer restart faster. But it can also interfere with the shutdown & restart process, hence the connected to Wifi but no Internet problem. Here’s how to disable Fast Startup:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then copy & paste powercfg.cpl into the box and click OK.
- Click Choose what the power buttons do.
- Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Make sure the box before Turn on fast startup (Recommended) is unchecked, then click Save changes and close the window.
- Restart your computer and check if you have Internet access this time.
Apps on our computer can also mess up with our system and cause this Wifi connects but no Internet problem. And as reported by many users, the antivirus app McAfee is one of them. You can try to uninstall McAfee or any apps you’ve recently installed to see if the problem goes away.
There you go – easy fixes for your Wifi connected but no Internet on Windows 10/8/7 problem. Hope this helps and feel free to drop us a comment if you have any questions or ideas to share with us. 🙂