There’re many reasons that you connect your Windows 7 computer with two monitors, like creating a more immersive gaming experience. So if Windows 7 doesn’t detect your second monitor, that would be super bothersome. But don’t worry. In this post, you’ll be relieved to know it’s easy to fix. Read on and find how…
Fixes for Second monitor not detected in Windows 7:
- Adjust your display settings
- Roll back your video driver to the previous version
- Update your video driver to the latest version
- Check if you have the right cable
When Windows 7 doesn’t detect your second monitor, probably it’s simply because your second monitor is not enabled in the display settings. Follow to adjust your display settings:
1) On your keyboard, hold down the Windows logo key and press R to bring up the Run box.
2) Type control and press Enter.
3) Click Display when choose to View by Large icons.
4) Click Adjust resolution.
5) In the Multiple displays section, select Extend these displays. Then click Apply > OK.
See if your second monitor is displaying. If your second monitor is detected, great! If it’s still not detected, there’re something else you can try…
1) On your keyboard, hold down the Windows logo key, then press the Pause key.
2) Click Device Manager.
3) Double-click Display adapters. Then right-click on your video driver to select Properties.
4) Click Roll Back Driver under the Driver pane.
5) Click Yes. Windows should then roll back your video driver to an earlier version.
Once it’s done, restart your computer to see if your second monitor is displaying.
If the both methods above fails to help you, you can try to update your video driver to the latest version.
There’re two ways you can get the right driver for your video card:
Manual driver update – You can update your video driver manually by going to the manufacturer’s website for your video card, and searching for the most recent correct driver for it. Be sure to choose the only driver that is compatible with your variant of Windows 7.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your video driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your exact video card, and your variant of Windows 7, and it will download and install it correctly:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.
Restart your computer to see if your second monitor is displaying.
You should use the right cable for the cable ports of your monitors and computers. Here are the common connection types:
Make sure you have the right cable connected with your computer and monitors.
Hopefully this article helps you fix the Windows 7 not detecting second monitor issue. Feel free to comment below with your own experiences.