Windows Update Not Working, Stuck at Checking for updates [Solved]
This problem has been bugging a lot of Windows 7 users for a very long time, and we are still hearing complaints about Microsoft not solving it today:” I cannot go pass the Checking for updates window and go into the Downloading updates part.”
In this case, it becomes impossible to update the newly released update packs or patches from Windows, which could be a severe risk if the released pack is vital to certain bugs.
If this is bothering you too, follow instructions below to see if they can help you solve it:
It is highly suggested that you keep your device drivers up-to-date, just to avoid any unwanted errors in your PC. To keep them updated, you can download them online and then install them one by one.
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your drivers manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to a flagged driver to automatically download and install the correct version of this driver (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
2) Choose Change settings on the left side of the pane.
3) Under Important updates, choose Never check for updates (recommended) option. Then hit OK to save and continue.
4) Restart your computer.
5) Go to support website of Microsoft, and download updates:
Choose accordingly the version you need, 64-bit or 32-bit. Place them on your desktop.
6) Reboot your computer.
7) Press Start button, then right click Computer from the list of choice and select Manage.
8) On the left pane, expand Services and Applications option, then click Services option. On the right side of the pane, locate Windows Update service.
9) Right click Windows Update service and choose Stop.
10) Go to C:\Windows, then locate SoftwareDistribution folder. Right click it and choose Delete.
11) Now go to your desktop and double click the KB 3102810, KB3083710, KB3020369, KB3050265, KB3172605 setup files and let them install.
12) Reboot your computer when the installation finishes.
13) Follow the path: Start button > Control Panel > Windows Update (View by Large icons).
14) Then choose Check for updates.
15) Wait for while for Windows to search for the updates for you. This time, it won’t take you forever like it did previously. You will be able to run the installation of your Windows Updates now. You can also turn on the Windows Update service that we turned off if you like.
1) Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center (view by Large icons).
2) Choose Change apater settings on the left side of the pane.
3) Right click the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS and choose Properties.
4) Select the Networking tab. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then click Properties.
5) Click Advanced button.
6) Then go to DNS tab. If you can see any DNS server IP addresses listed, write them down for future reference. Then Remove them from this window.
7) First click the Add… button, and then type in the following IP addresses of the Google DNS servers:
- For IPv4: 188.8.131.52 and/or 184.108.40.206.
- For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844
Hit Add to continue.
8) Then hit OK to save the change.
9) Now check your Windows Update again, see if the problem is solved.