Cyberpunk 2077 is no doubt the most anticipated game of 2020. However, many players complain Cyberpunk 2077 keeps crashing on PC, along with a flatlined error. If you’re troubled by the same problem, don’t worry, as you can solve it quite easily.
Before you proceed with the steps below, please make sure your setup meets the system requirements of Cyberpunk 2077.
Fixes to try:
Here are 7 working fixes for Cyberpunk 2077 crashing. You don’t have to try them all; simply work from the top down until you find the one that does the trick.
- Update your graphics driver
- Verify the integrity of game files
- Disable in-game overlay
- Stop overclocking
- Close unnecessary programs
- Adjust in-game settings
- Reinstall Cyberpunk 2077
Fix 1 – Update your graphics driver
Cyberpunk 2077 crashing may be caused by an outdated or faulty graphics driver. So, to avoid the compatibility issues with this new game and ensure a smooth gaming experience, you should keep your graphics driver up-to-date all the time.
There are mainly two ways for you to update the graphics driver:
Option 1 – Manually – Graphics card manufacturers will roll out graphics drivers optimized for the latest titles on a regular basis. You can download the most recent correct driver from their websites (AMD or NVIDIA) and install it manually.
Option 2 – Automatically (Recommended) – If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your video driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for your exact GPU, and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly:
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click the Update button next to the flagged graphics driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at email@example.com.
How does your game work with the newly-installed graphics driver? If it crashes again, head towards the second fix below.
Fix 2 – Verify the integrity of game files
Validating the game files is a necessary step whenever game crashes occur. Select your gaming platform (Steam, GOG or Epic Games Launcher), and follow the steps to repair missing or corrupted game files.
- Open your Steam client and go to the Library tab.
- Right-click Cyberpunk 2077 from the game list and click Properties.
- Select the Local Files tab and click Verify Integrity of Game Files.
Relaunch Cyberpunk 2077 to test. If it still fails to work, try Fix 3.
- Launch GOG Galaxy and select Cyberpunk 2077 from the Library section.
- Click the settings icon next to the Play button. Then, click Manage installation > Verify / Repair.
Wait for the process to complete and check whether you can play the game normally now. If not, proceed to Fix 3.
On Epic Games Launcher
- Run the Epic Games Launcher, and navigate to the Library tab in the left pane.
- Click the Cyberpunk 2077 tile and click the icons with three dots next to it. Then, click Verify.
Test the game after the process finishes. If crashing persists, check out the next method below.
Fix 3 – Disable in-game overlay
According to many players, the in-game overlay will cause Cyberpunk 2077 to crash, especially if you’re playing on GOG. You can simply turn off this feature to see if the game performance improves.
- Open GOG Galaxy and select the Library tab.
- Click the gear icon in the bottom left corner.
- On the pop-up window, untick In-Game Overlay and click Ok.
If you’re playing the game on Steam and also hope to disable the overlay, right-click Cyberpunk 2077 from the game list and select Properties. Then, untick Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.
If this fix doesn’t help your case, keep reading other solutions below.
Fix 4 – Stop overclocking
Overclocking your CPU and GPU can give a boost in the game performance but at the cost of system stability. Try turning off overclocking utilities like MSI Afterburner and setting the clock speed back to the default. If the crashes go away, then great! But if not, take a look at the next fix.
Fix 5 – Close unnecessary programs
Other non-essential programs running in the background may take up much system resources required of Cyberpunk 2077 to work properly. Before you start gaming, make sure to shut down all unneeded programs.
- Right-click any empty area on the taskbar and click Task Manager.
- Right-click the resource-hungry application and click End task to close them one by one.
Run the game and see how things go. If this trick can’t get your game back on track either, there are two more fixes to try.
Fix 6 – Adjust in-game settings
Lowering certain in-game graphics settings can reduce the stress on your GPU and thus mitigate Cyberpunk 2077 crashing. Many players also suggested disabling Ray Tracing as this option may undermine the gameplay.
- Run Cyberpunk 2077 and click the Settings menu.
- Select the Video tab. Then, turn off VSync.
- Navigate to the Graphics tab and set the options under the Advanced section to Low or Medium.
- Scroll down to turn off Ray Tracing.
Restart Cyberpunk 2077 and test its performance. If the crashes just won’t stop, move on to the last fix.
Fix 7 – Reinstall Cyberpunk 2077
A fresh reinstallation can effectively solve the stubborn issues during your previous installation. This should be a last resort if all the solutions above don’t work. You also need to delete all the remaining game files after the game is uninstalled.
Hopefully these fixes help you with Cyberpunk 2077 crashing. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment below.