This won’t happen often, but there may be a time when something goes wrong and Discord displays a black screen when you’re streaming from the application.
Common causes of this issue are graphics driver update issues, problems with improper Discord settings, or issues with recent updates. But don’t worry. On this page, we’ll take you through a series of troubleshooting steps to help you resolve it.
6 fixes to try:
You may not have to try them all, just work your way down the list until you find the one that does the trick for you.
- Update your graphics driver
- Update Discord
- Turn on/off Hardware Acceleration
- Turn off unneeded programs
- Clear Discord cache folder
- Reinstall Discord
Fix 1: Update your graphics driver
One of the most common causes of the Discord black screen issue is a faulty or outdated graphics driver. Try updating your graphics driver to see if that fixes your problem.
You can update the driver manually, but this takes quite a while. Or you can update your device driver with just a couple of clicks with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the graphics driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4) Check if Discord displays properly now.
If Discord screen-share is still not working, then try the next method, below.
Fix 2: Update Discord
Discord releases regular updates to fix bugs. It’s possible that a recent update is preventing Discord from running correctly, and a new update is needed to fix it. So you should check if there is any update available.
Here is how to do it:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to open the Run dialog
2) Type %localappdata% and click OK.
3) Double-click Discord.
4) Double click Update.exe and wait for the update process to be complete.
5) Relaunch Discord to test your issue.
If you run into the clack screen issue again when streaming, try the next fix below.
Fix 3: Turn on/off Hardware Acceleration
Ordinarily, when you run an application, it uses the standard CPU on your computer. If you run a heavy task, such as screen sharing, to work effectively, your app will use other hardware components on your PC.
If you have good hardware, enabling Hardware Acceleration will result in better performance of your application; however, if your hardware is weak, this feature may cause problems for you.
To see if that’s the core issue, try turning on Hardware Acceleration on Discord if it’s off, or vice versa. Here is how to do it:
1) Run Discord, then click the Settings icon.
2) Click Appearance, if Hardware Acceleration is on, turn it off, or vice versa.
3) Click Okay.
4) Reopen Discord to see if this has resolved your issue.
If your problem still exists, try the next fix.
Fix 4: Turn off unneeded programs
If you’re running multiple programs at the same time when using Discord, chances are that one of your programs is preventing the application from working correctly.
It’s recommended that you turn off unnecessary programs when using screen share in Discord. Here is how to do it:
For Windows 7 users
1) Right-click your taskbar and select Start Task Manager.
2) Click the Processes tab, then check your current CPU and memory usage to see what processes are consuming your resources most.
3) Right-click the resource-consuming process and select End Process Tree.
4) Restart Discord to test your issue.
If this didn’t work for you, try Fix 5.
For Windows 8 & 10 users
1) Right-click your taskbar and select Task Manager.
2) Check your current CPU and memory usage to see what processes are consuming your resources most.
3) Right-click the resource-consuming process and select End task.
4) Restart Discord to see if this has resolved your issue.
If not, then go ahead with the next fix.
Fix 5: Clear Discord cache folder
Improper account settings and temporary Discord files may also cause Discord to fail. To see if that’s the core issue, try clearing Discord Roaming data. Here is how to do it:
1) Exit Discord.
2) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R.
3) Type %appdata% and click OK.
4) Right-click Discord, then select Delete.
4) Relaunch Discord to test your issue.
If the issue persists, read on and try the fix, below.
Fix 6: Reinstall Discord
The Discord black screen issue might happen if the application isn’t properly installed on your PC. If that’s the problem for you, reinstalling Discord should fix it. Here is how to do it:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key. Then, type control and click Control Panel.
2) Under View by, click Category, and then select Uninstall a program.
3) Right-click Discord and click Uninstall.
4) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time.
5) Type %appdata%, then click OK.
6) Delete the Discord folder.
7) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time.
8) Type %localappdata% and click OK.
9) Delete the Discord folder.
10) Download and install Discord.
Hopefully, this article helped in resolving your issue. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment below.