DOOM constantly crashes on your computer? This is extremely frustrating and you’re certainly not the only one who faces it. Many players are reporting it. But the good news is that you can fix it. Here are 7 fixes to try.
OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better
Storage: 55 GB available space
Fixes to try:
Here’s a list of fixes that have resolved this problem for other DOOM players. You don’t have to try them all. Just work your way through the list until you find the one that does the trick for you.
- Restart your computer
- Update your graphics driver
- Check for Windows update
- Configure your in-game video settings
- Change the power plan of your computer
- Verify the integrity of your game files
- Reinstall your game and Steam
Fix 1: Restart your computer
This is the quickest fix to try when you’re experiencing DOOM crash issues. Just reboot your computer and relaunch Steam.
Now, run your game again to test your issue. If your problem still exists, move on to fix 2, below.
Fix 2: Update your graphics driver
One of the most common causes of DOOM crashing problems is an outdated or a faulty graphics driver. To keep DOOM running smoothly, it’s essential that you have the latest graphics driver at all times.
There are two ways you can get the right driver for your graphics product: manually or automatically.
Manual driver update – You can update your graphics driver manually by going to the manufacturer’s website for your graphics product, and searching for the most recent correct driver. Be sure to choose only driver that is compatible with your Windows version.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your graphics driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your graphics product, and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the graphics driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
Fix 3: Check for Windows updates
Windows updates can address bugs related to both hardware and software. So make sure you’ve installed all the new Windows updates to keep your applications running smoothly. Here is how to do it:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key. Then, type windows update and select Windows Update settings.
2) Click Check for updates, and then wait for Windows to download and install the updates automatically.
3) Restart your computer after the update is complete, then try running DOOM again.
Hope Doom is running correctly now. If it’s not, don’t fret. Try the fix below.
Fix 4: Configure your in-game video settings
Improper video setting can also cause DOOM to crash. If that’s the problem for you, you’ll need to optimize the video settings in Steam to fix it. Here is how to do it:
1) Run DOOM and navigate to Settings.
2) Click the VIDEO tab.
3) Lower the Resolution and change the Anti-Aliasing settings.
4) Exit your game and Steam. Then, relaunch your game.
If your issue persists, read on and check fix 5, below.
Fix 5: Change the power plan of your computer
DOOM crash issues might happen when your computer slows down to save energy. Try changing your Power plan to High Performance to see if this helps. Here is how:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type control. Then, click Control panel.
2) Under View by, click Large icons.
3) Select Power Options.
4) Select High Performance.
5) Restart your computer, and then relaunch DOOM to test your problem.
Hope your game runs smoothly now. If it’s not, move on to the fix below.
Fix 6: Verify the integrity of your game files
DOOM may crash when a certain game file is damaged or missing. To fix it, try verifying the integrity of your game files. Here is how:
1) Run Steam client.
2) Click LIBRARY.
3) Right-click DOOM and select Properties.
4) Click the LOCAL FILES tab, and then click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES.
5) Wait for this process to be complete, and then relaunch DOOM.
You should now be able to launch DOOM and actually play! If not, try the fix, below.
Fix 7: Reinstall your game and Steam
Corrupt or missing game files may also cause DOOM to crash. In this case, reinstalling your game or Steam is very likely the solution to your problem. Here is how:
1) Run Steam client.
2) Click LIBRARY.
3) Right-click DOOM and select Uninstall.
4) After DOOM is uninstalled, close Steam.
5) Relaunch Steam to download and install DOOM. Then, try running DOOM again.
Hope DOOM works correctly now. If not, try reinstall Steam.
1) Right-click the Steam icon and select Open file location.
2) Right-click thesteamapps folder and select Copy. Then, place the copy in another location to back up it.
3) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type control. Then, clickControl Panel.
4) Under View by, select Category.
5) Select Uninstall a program.
6) Right-click Steam, and then click Uninstall.
7) Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall Steam and wait for the process to be complete.
8) Download Steam.
9) Open the downloaded file and install Steam.
10) Right-click the Steam icon and select Open file location.
11) Move the backup steamapps folder you create before to your current directory location.
12) Restart DOOM to see if it runs smoothly.
Hopefully, this article helped in resolving your problem. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below.