0x800705b4 Error in Windows Update in Windows 10 [Solved]
While installing Windows Update in Windows 10, if you get error code 0x800705b4, don’t worry. Many Windows 10 users have reported this Windows Update error. You can fix the error with one of the methods below.
There are five methods for you to try to fix this error. You may not have to try them all; just work your way down at the top of the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Change Windows Updating Settings
- Delete Some Related Files
- Upgrade Windows from Build 1511 to Build 1607
- Perform a Clean Boot then Install the Updates Again
Microsoft provides Windows Update troubleshooter which will detect the problem and fix it. Try using this method to fix the 0x800705b4 error and it may work for you.
1) Type troubleshoot in Cortana at the bottom left corner of desktop.
2) Click Troubleshooting on the pop-up menu.
3) Click View all in the left pane.
4) Click Windows Update in the list.
5) Click Advanced.
6) Click Run as administrator.
7) Click the Next button. Then the troubleshoot will detect the problems and fix them.
8) Check to see if you see the 0x800705b4 error in Windows Update.
This error can be caused by faulty Windows Update settings. So to fix the error, you may need to change the Windows Update settings. This method has been working for many Windows 10 users who encountered the 0x800705b4 error. It’s worth a try.
Follow these steps:
1) Type Windows Update in Cortana and click Check for updates on the pop-up menu.
2) Click Advanced options.
3) Clear option Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows.
4) Restart your computer.
5) Open the Windows Update Settings window again (If you’re not sure how to open this window, refer the Step 1). Click Check for updates.
Note you may need to run it more than once in order to get all updates. After all updates are installed, you will receive message “Your device is up to date.”, then continue to perform further steps.
6) Re-select option Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows.
7) Go back to Check for Updates again. Then the updates should download successfully this time.
The error can be caused by some corrupted related files. Deleting those files may fix the Windows Update 0x800705b4 error.
1) Type services in Cortana and click Services on the pop-up menu.
2) Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service then select Stop.
3) Right-click Windows Update then select Stop.
4) Open Windows Explorer and navigate to “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution“.
5) Delete all the content in this folder. (Some files may not be deleted, in this case, go back to Step 3 and try again. Just ensure to delete “Download” and “DeliveryOptimation”.)
6) Restart your PC and check to see if the error persist.
If you have installed Windows 10 build 1511(How to Check Windows 10 Build Number), upgrade it to 1607 or higher version build then try to install the updates again. Then the error should resolve.
If you are not sure how to perform a clean boot, see How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10.
The steps above may resolve the problem, but if they don’t, it’s time to update the drivers. If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update the drivers manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to one driver to automatically download and install the correct version of this driver (you can do this with the FREE version). Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
Hopefully methods here will help you resolve the 0x800705b4 error. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave your comments. I’d love to hear of any suggestions or ideas.