Apex Legends has been out for two years, but it’s still not immune to errors and bugs. One launch error that players are getting every now and then is Game client encountered an application error (Error code: 23.) The good news is there are some known fixes available. In this post, we’ll walk you through the steps to fix Apex Legends launch error 23.
Try these fixes…
You don’t have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that does the trick!
Fix 1: Clean temporary files
Having excessive temporary files on your PC is one of the known reasons for the launch error 23 on Apex Legends. These files can take up a lot of space on your disk, which may lead to stability issues on your PC and difficulties to launch Apex Legends. Below is how to get rid of all your temporary files:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R to invoke the Run box.
- Type %temp% and click OK.
- In the pop-up window, press Ctrl and A to select all temporary files. Then right-click the selected files and click Delete.
- Restart your PC.
If deleting all the temporary files doesn’t solve your problem, try the next fix.
Fix 2: Verify and repair your game files
If your game files are missing or damaged, it could lead to the launch error 23 on Apex Legends. The good news is you can check with a few simple steps on your game client. Here’s how:
- Run Origin and go to your game library.
- Right-click Apex Legends and select Repair Game.
- Wait for the process to complete, then test if you still encounter the launch error 23.
- Find Apex Legends in your library. Right-click the game icon and click Properties.
- Under the LOCAL FILES tab, click Verify integrity of game files.
- Steam will scan your local game files and compare them to the files on the server. This process could take a while depending on the size of the game. If there’s anything missing or damaged, Steam will add or replace them in your game folder.
- Test if you can launch Apex Legends now.
If repairing your game files doesn’t fix Apex Legends error 23 for you, move on to the next fix.
Fix 3: Update your graphics drivers
Another common reason for Apex Legends launch error 23 is an outdated graphics driver. You may want to check if your graphics driver is up-to-date or not, for it to run properly and support the game.
One way to keep your graphics card driver up-to-date is to manually update it via Device Manager.
If Windows suggests your driver is up-to-date, you can still check if there’s a newer version and update it in Device Manager. Go to the manufacturer’s website, and search for the latest correct driver. Be sure to choose only drivers that are compatible with your Windows version.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience, or computer skills to update your driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your exact video card and your Windows version, then it will download and install it correctly:
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click the Update button next to the flagged graphics card driver to automatically download the correct version of the driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at email@example.com.
Restart your PC for the new driver to take effect. If updating your graphics driver doesn’t solve your problem, try the next fix.
Fix 4: Repair Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable installs run-time components to your PC’s Visual C++ libraries. You’ll usually get them bundled with your game installation when the developers put the required files in the game installer. Apparently, if these redistributables are corrupt, it could lead to the Apex Legends error 23. You can follow the steps below to fix this issue:
- Press the Windows key and R on your keyboard to invoke the Run box.
- Type appwiz.cpl, then click OK.
- In the pop-up window, scroll down to find the Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable files. You’ll see two redistributable files.
- Right-click the first redistributable file, then click Change.
- Click Repair. If prompted for permission, click Yes.
- Repeat Steps 4-5 to repair the second redistributable file.
- Once the repair is complete, restart your PC to let the changes take effect.
If repairing Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable files doesn’t solve your problem, try the last fix.
Fix 5: Reinstall the game
Reinstalling the whole game can be frustrating, but it has solved the error 23 for many Apex Legends players, so it’s definitely worth trying. Here’s how:
- Go to your Origin game library and find Apex Legends. Right-click the game title then click Uninstall.
- Follow on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation.
- Once Apex Legends is removed from your PC, restart your Origin client.
- Open the game library again, right-click Apex Legends then click Download.
- Go to your Steam library, right-click Apex Legends, select Manage then click Uninstall.
- Once the game is removed from your PC, restart your Steam client.
- Again open your Steam library, and find Apex Legends.
- Right-click on the game icon then click Install.
Hopefully this article helps your solve the launch error code 23 on Apex Legends, and you can now enjoy the game! Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions or suggestions.