It’s very frustrating when Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War keeps freezing on your PC. While it’s sometimes hard to identify the exact cause, there are simple tricks you can try to fix this issue. Check them out now!
Try these fixes:
Here are 5 fixes that helped other players with Cold War freezing. You may not try them all; simply work your way down the list until you find the one that does the trick.
- Avoid PC overheating
- Update your graphics card driver
- Disable fullscreen optimizations
- Scan and repair corrupted game files
- Lower the in-game graphics settings
Fix 1 – Avoid PC overheating
Black Ops Cold War is a graphic-intensive application that will put load on your CPU and GPU. When these component overheats, the computer will stop functioning to protect the hardware from physical damage, and thus your game freezes.
To avoid this problem, you can clean the dust regularly and check the cooling system to ensure your PC is in a cool, well-ventilated condition. Also, stop overclocking your processor as this will increase the chance of overheating.
If Call of Duty Cold War just freezes without any overheating symptoms, take a look at other workable fixes.
Fix 2 – Update your graphics card driver
If you’re using a faulty graphics driver or it’s out-of-date, you may encounter various issues when playing Black Ops Cold War such as freezing, crashing or low FPS. GPU manufacturers have released new drivers optimized for this game, so you can update the graphics card driver to see if that fixes your issue.
There are two ways for you to do this:
Option 1 – Manually – You can get the latest graphics driver from the manufacturer’s website such as AMD or NVIDIA. Then, choose the correct driver that is compatible with your Windows version and install it manually.
Option 2 – Automatically (recommended) – If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your video and monitor drivers manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your exact GPU, and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly:
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All). Or you can click Update to do it for free, but it’s partly manual.
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at email@example.com.
Does the driver update mitigate the freezes and boost your game’s performance? If the problem reoccurs, please continue to the next fix.
Fix 3 – Disable fullscreen optimizations
Fullscreen Optimizations is expected to improve games’ performance when they run in fullscreen mode, but that’s not always the case. If you keep running into Cold War freezing, you should disable this option.
Here are the steps:
- Right-click the CoD Black Ops Cold War icon on your desktop and click Properties.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab. Then, tick Disable fullscreen optimizations.
- Click Change high DPI settings.
- Tick Override High DPI scaling behavior and select Application from the drop-down menu below. Then, click OK.
- Click OK.
Launch your game to see if the freezing problem goes away. If not, try the next fix below.
Fix 4 – Scan and repair corrupted game files
Corrupted and missing game file is also a known culprit for PC games malfunctioning. Fortunately, it takes only a few steps to validate the game files automatically.
- Launch the Battle.net Blizzard client.
- Select Call of Duty: BOCW on the left pane.
- Click Options and click Scan and Repair.
After the process completes, relaunch the game to test the issue. If this fix doesn’t help, check out the last one.
Fix 5 – Lower the in-game graphics settings
Many players report Call of Duty Cold War can hardly run smoothly on the high or ultra graphics settings. So if you’ve attempted all the fixes above with no success, you may need to sacrifice the visuals and opt for the lower settings.
- While in game, press F3 on your keyboard to open the Settings menu.
- Select the Graphics tab.
- Lower the parameters under each section according to your needs.
Check how things go. If the freezing problem is persistent, you can contact Blizzard’s support for further assistance. Since Black Ops Cold War is a relatively new game, we’d wait for the upcoming patches to resolve those known bugs.
Hopefully you’ll find this post helpful. If you have any questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to drop us a comment below.