Does this look familiar?
You may see a message like this when you launch a program or game on your Windows computer.
It can read either:
- “The program can’t start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.” or
- “The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.”
But don’t worry. We’ll help you get that program up and running again in no time.
Here are five solutions to getting that MSVCP140.dll file back where it should be.
Try these fixes
You shouldn’t have to do every single one. Just try each one in turn until everything’s working again.
- Install the MSVCP140.dll file
- Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable package
- Do a clean installation of the program
- Copy the file another trusted computer
- Run a virus scan for your system
- Want us to fix the problem for you?
If MSVCP140.dll is missing or not found in your computer, you can fix your problem by restoring the missing file in your computer. To do so, use the DLL-files.com Client.
The DLL-files.com Client will fix your DLL error in one click. You don’t have to know what system is running on your computer, and you don’t need to worry about downloading the wrong file. The DLL-files.com handles it all for you.
- Download and install the DLL-files.com Client.
- Run the application.
- Type MSVCP140.dll in the search box and click Search for DLL file.
- Click msvcp140.dll in the search result.
- Click Install (you’re required to register the program before you can install the files – you’ll be prompted when you click Install).
Once install, check if your MSVCP140.dll missing problem has been fixed.
The MSVCP140.dll file is part of the Visual C ++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 package. (You don’t need to know this, but the package provides the components Windows needs to run C ++ applications.)
It’s such an essential package that it gets installed automatically when you install Windows. So chances are the MSVCP140.dll file is actually there, but has become corrupted in some way.
Fortunately, you can simply re-download the package from Microsoft and install it again to fix the problem..
Important note: Make sure you download the file from Microsoft’s official website. Unofficial websites may allow you to download the MSVCP140.dll file instead of the entire package. But files from these unapproved sources may be infected with viruses. So always download from official sites whenever possible.
- Go to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 download page, Choose the correct language, and then click Download.
- Select the appropriate file for your version of Windows (x64 for the 64-bit version of Windows, and x86 for the 32-bit version).
If you know which version of Windows you’re running you skip ahead to step 3. Otherwise simply type system info in the search box on your computer and click System Information.
The System Type field will tell you whether you’re running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.My computer is running the 64-bit version of Windows, so I select the vc_redist.x64.exe file and download it by clicking Next.
- Once the file has finished downloading, double click it, and follow the instructions to install it.
- Restart Windows.
- Try launching the program that was giving you the error.
Is it working? Great. But don’t worry if you’re still getting the error. We still have a few solutions you can try…
As the error message says, reinstalling the program may fix the ‘MSVCP140.dll is missing’ problem.
Why? Because the program’s installation files may include the correct version of the MSVCP140.dll file.
Here’s how to do it.
- On your keyboard, hold down the Windows logo key and press R to bring up the Run dialog box.
- Type appwiz.cpl and press Enter to bring up a list of all the programs installed on your computer.
- Right-click on the program that’s giving you the error (in my case it’s Skype) and click Uninstall.
- Click Yes to confirm you want to uninstall the program.
- Restart your computer.
- Reinstall the program, and then launch the program.
If it works, then you’ve found (and fixed) the problem. But if you’re still getting the error message, we have something else you can try…
You can also fix this error by copying the same file from another computer and paste it to your own. To do so:
- Find another computer that runs the same operating system as yours.
The versions (Windows 10/8/7) and architectures (32-bit/64-bit) of both operating systems must be the same.
- On that computer, open File Explorer (by pressing the Windows logo key and E on your keyboard), then go to C:\Windows\System32 and copy the msvcp140.dll there.
- Paste the copied file to the same location (C:\Windows\System32) on your own computer. (You may need an external storage device, like a flash drive.)
Try launching the program again and it should be working.
Still no luck? Okay, there’s one more thing we can try…
The ‘MSVCP140.dll Is Missing’ error message may appear if a virus on your computer is preventing the MSVCP140.dll file from being detected. The virus may even be generating the error itself.
So run a virus scan across your entire Windows system. Yes, it will take some time to complete, but it’s worth it. Unfortunately, Windows Defender may not detect it, so it’s worth trying another antivirus application such as Avira and Panda.
If any malware has been detected, follow the instructions provided by the antivirus program to fix it.
Then restart your computer and try to launch your program again to see if it works.
If none of the fixes above worked, or you just don’t have the time or confidence to troubleshoot the problem for yourself, get us to fix it for you. All you need to do is buy a 1-year subscription to Driver Easy (just $29.95) and you get free technical support as part of your purchase. Then you can contact our computer technicians directly, explain your problem, and they’ll investigate to see if they can resolve it remotely.
So there you have it—five ways to fix the ‘MSVCP140.dll is missing’ error message.
Please feel free to leave your comments and ask any questions.