How to Fix MSVCP140.dll Is Missing [Easy Fixes]
Does this look familiar to you? When installing programs or launching games in your Windows PC/laptop, you may get this error from time to time. The error message may appear like these:
1) The program can’t start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
2) The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Actually you can easily fix msvcp140.dll is missing by the top solutions provided in this article. You don’t need to try them all; just work your way through until your problem is solved.
Solution 1: Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable package
Solution 2: Do a clean installation of the program
Solution 3: Run the Windows System File Check
Solution 4: Run a virus scan for your system
Note: All the screenshots below are on Windows 10, but the fixes apply to Windows 7 & 8 as well.
The MSVCP140.dll file belongs to the Visual C ++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. The whole package is responsible for the run-time components that are required to run C ++ applications. As this package is essential for running applications and programs, Microsoft will install this package in your computer when you are installing the Windows OS. So if there is something wrong with this package, the msvcp140 dll file will be corrupted in your computer. The easiest way to fix it is to re-download the package from Microsoft.
Important: Download the file from the official websites to avoid potential risks. In addition, DO NOT download the msvcp140 dll file from the unofficial websites in attempt to replace your missing file. Those are unapproved sources for DLL files, and may be infected with viruses. So it’s recommended not to do so for your computer security.
1) Go to Microsoft download website. Then click Download.
2) Select the file according to your system processor type (x64 for 64-bit and x86 for 32-bit). Then click Next. In my case, my computer is running the 64-bit type, so I select the x64 .exe file and download it in my computer.
Tips: You can check if you are running 32-bit or 64-bit (If you already know your system type, just skip to step 4):
A. Type system info in the search box on your computer, then click System Information.
B. You will see your system type here:
5) Restart your Windows. Then try to open the program that gives the error to see if it works.
This is the best way to solve MSVCP140.dll file problem. Your problem would be solved by reinstalling this package. If not, please try the following ways.
According to the popup error, you can try reinstalling the program to fix MSVCP140.dll is missing. The file may be corrupted when installing the program, but its installation package may include the correct version of this file. So please follow these steps:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key + R at the same time to invoke the Run box.
2) Type appwiz.cpl in the Run box, and press Enter.
3) Right click the program that gives the error, then click Uninstall. In my case, it is Skype that gives the error, so I right click Skype and click Uninstall.
4) Click Yes to confirm.
5) Restart your computer, reinstall the program, and open it to see if it works.
The System File Checker (SFC) is a helpful tool in Windows. With SFC, you can scan for corruptions in system and repair the corrupted files. Follow the steps below:
1) Type cmd in the search box of the task bar. Right click Command Prompt (If you are using Windows 7, right click cmd) to select Run as administrator. Then click Yes to confirm.
3) Type sfc /scannow in Command Prompt, and press Enter.
This can take a few minutes, and it will try to automatically fix the detected issues after scanning. After verification 100% completed, close Command Prompt and try to launch the program that gives the error.
A virus infection in your system could also stop the .dll file from being detected. Some errors like dll not found or dll is missing, can be generated by the virus-infected system.
Run a complete virus scan for your entire Windows system. This may take some time. Furthermore, Windows Defender alone may not be capable to help, so please also try other anti-virus applications, such as Avira and Panda.
After scanning, restart your Windows. If your Windows has been detected with malware, follow the instructions by the anti-virus program to fix it. Then restart your computer and try to launch your program again to see if it works.
These are the top ways to fix msvcp140.dll is missing. Feel free to comment below if you have any questions.