How to Fix MSVCP140.dll Is Missing [Easy Fixes]
Does this look familiar to you? When installing programs or launching games in your Windows PC/laptop, you may get this error from time to time. The error message may appear like:
1) The program can’t start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
2) The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Actually you can easily fix msvcp140.dll is missing by the top solutions provided in this article. You don’t need to try them all; just work your way through until your problem is solved.
- Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable package
- Do a clean installation of the program
- Update the drivers in your computer
- Run the Windows System File Check
- Run a virus scan for your system
The MSVCP140.dll file belongs to the Visual C ++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. The whole package is responsible for the run-time components that are required to run C ++ applications. As this package is essential for running applications and programs, Microsoft will install this package in your computer when you are installing the Windows OS. So if there is something wrong with this package, the msvcp140 dll file will be corrupted in your computer. The easiest way to fix it is to re-download the package from Microsoft.
Important: Download the file from the official websites to avoid potential risks. In addition, DO NOT download the msvcp140 dll file from the unofficial websites in attempt to replace your missing file. Those are unapproved sources for DLL files, and may be infected with viruses. So it’s recommended not to do so for your computer security.
1) Go to Microsoft download website. Then click Download.
2) Select the file according to your system processor type (x64 for 64-bit and x86 for 32-bit). Then click Next. In my case, my computer is running the 64-bit type, so I select the x64 .exe file and download it in my computer.
Tips: You can check if you are running 32-bit or 64-bit (If you already know your system type, just skip to step 4):
A. Type system info in the search box on your computer, then click System Information.
B. You will see your system type here:
5) Restart your Windows. Then try to open the program that gives the error to see if it works.
This is the best way to solve MSVCP140.dll file problem. Your problem would be solved by reinstalling this package. If not, please try the following ways.
According to the popup error, you can try reinstalling the program to fix MSVCP140.dll is missing. The file may be corrupted when installing the program, but its installation package may include the correct version of this file. So please follow these steps:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key + R at the same time to invoke the Run box.
2) Type appwiz.cpl in the Run box, and press Enter.
3) Right click the program that gives the error, then click Uninstall. In my case, it is Skype that gives the error, so I right click Skype and click Uninstall.
4) Click Yes to confirm.
5) Restart your computer, reinstall the program, and open it to see if it works.
The missing or outdated drivers can cause the dll file missing issue, so you can update your drivers to the latest version to fix it. There are two ways to update drivers: manually and automatically.
Manually update drivers – You can manually update your drivers in Device Manager. Open Device Manager in your computer, check the driver status to see if it needs to update, then select Update device driver to install the latest driver one by one. This requires time and computer skills.
Automatically update drivers – If manually updating drivers one by one takes time and patience, you can do that automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your computer.
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to a flagged driver to automatically download and install the correct driver (You can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install all the latest correct drivers that is missing or outdated (This requires the Pro version. You will be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
4) Restart your computer and try the program again to see if it works now.
The System File Checker (SFC) is a helpful tool in Windows. With SFC, you can scan for corruptions in system and repair the corrupted files. Follow the steps below:
1) Type cmd in the search box of the task bar. Right click Command Prompt (If you are using Windows 7, right click cmd) to select Run as administrator. Then click Yes to confirm.
2) Type sfc /scannow in Command Prompt, and press Enter.
3) Wait for a few minutes. And it will try to automatically fix the detected issues after scanning. After verification 100% completed, close Command Prompt and try to launch the program that gives the error.
A virus infection in your system could also stop the .dll file from being detected. Some errors like dll not found or dll is missing, can be generated by the virus-infected system.
Run a complete virus scan for your entire Windows system. This may take some time. Furthermore, Windows Defender alone may not be capable to help, so please also try other anti-virus applications, such as Avira and Panda.
After scanning, restart your Windows. If your Windows has been detected with malware, follow the instructions by the anti-virus program to fix it. Then restart your computer and try to launch your program again to see if it works.
These are the top ways to fix msvcp140.dll is missing. Feel free to comment below if you have any questions.