As you know, a driver is software that a device uses to work with your PC. When your device isn’t working properly, you can check if the driver is installed correctly. Faulty driver could always be the cause. To fix the problem, you need to update the driver. For some devices, Windows can update the driver automatically. For some devices especially external devices, you need to install the updated drivers yourself, then you need to download the driver manually.
Download the driver manually
To download new drivers, go to PC manufacturer’s website or device manufacturer’s website. Driver updates are often available in the Support section of their website. If you are using a branded computer, it is recommended that you go to the PC manufacturer’s website to check for the latest driver first, as they may customize the driver. You are required to use the PC model and the operating system that you are using to download the correct driver. Usually, the PC model can be found on the machine. See How to Get Operating System. If you need to download the driver from device manufacturer, then you are required to know the device model.
How to install the driver
The downloaded driver file will be an executable file (File name ends in “.exe”.) or a zip file (File name ends in “.zip”.).
For executable file, to install the driver, you just need to double-click on the file and follow the on-screen instructions.
For zip file, you need to unzip it and find the executable file in the archive. If you cannot find an executable file, you need to install the driver step by step using the “.inf” file. Following steps are for your reference how to install the driver in this way.
1. Go to Device Manager.
2. Find the device that need to install a driver. (Here let’s take video card for example.)
3. Right-click on the device and select Update Driver Software…
4. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
5. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
6. Click Have Disk… button.
7. Click Browse… button. Navigate to the folder where you saved the downloaded driver file and browse the .inf driver file.
8. Click OK button then Next button to finish the installation. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
If you have difficulty in downloading and installing drivers manually, or if you want to save more time in updating drivers, you can use Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will scan your computer to detect all problem drivers in several seconds, then give you new drivers. It has Free version and Paid version. You can use the Free version to update drivers one at a time. With Paid version, to update drivers, all you need to do is click your mouse 2 times.
1. Click Scan Now button. Then Driver Easy will scan your computer quickly and provide you with new drivers instantly.
2. Click Update All button. Then all drivers will be downloaded and installed automatically.
If you upgrade the program to Paid version, you will enjoy free technical support and 30-day money back guarantee. Just contact our professional support for further assistance regarding any driver problem. And you You can ask for a full refund for any reason.