Miracast Windows 10 — How to set it up & fix it if it stops working?
Want to add a wireless display to your Windows 10 PC? It’s easy. Just use the popular, built-in feature, Miracast. In this guide, you’ll learn how to set up & use Miracast on Windows 10. You’ll also learn how to fix it.
What is Miracast?
Miracast is a standard wireless connection technology. It enables you mirror the device screen like laptops, tablets, smartphones to the displays like monitors, TVs and projectors without a USB cable. So you can simply regard Miracast as ” HDMI over Wi-Fi”.
Miracast now comes built into some devices, Windows 10 is one of them. If your display device doesn’t have the Miracast support, a Miracast adapter can help you solve this problem.
In this post, you can learn how to set up and use Miracast on Windows 10. Besides, if Miracast stops working on your Windows 10, you can solve it following the solution below.
First, check to see if your Windows 10 is ready to go:
1) Type connect in the search box from your Start menu.
2）Then you’ll see if your Windows 10 support Miracast.
If you see the left below window, then you can set up Miracast on your Windows 10.
If unfortunately, you see the right below window, don’t panic, follow How to solve Miracast not working on my Windows 10 to troubleshoot the problem first.
1) Turn on the display device you want to project to, like a TV or a projector. If your display device doesn’t have built-in Miracast support, plug a Miracast adapter such as a Microsoft Wireless Display adapter in your display device.
2) On your Windows 10 PC keyboard, press the Windows logo key and I (at the same time) to invoke the Settings window.
3) Click Devices.
4) It will be shown in the Bluetooth & other devices section by default. Click Add Bluetooth or other device.
5) Click Wireless display or dock.
6) The Windows 10 should detect your display device which you turned on before. Click your display device to project your Windows 10 to it.
When you check if your Windows 10 is ready to go, you see this error message saying “The device doesn’t support Miracast, so you can’t project it wirelessly.” However, we all know Windows 10 should have Miracast support buily-in. So why does this error occur?
- Is your Windows 10 from a upgrade of Windows 7 or other earlier version? If so, your Windows 10 may not have the built-in Miracast support. In this case, you can make use of a Miracast adapter, like Microsoft wireless display adapter.
- Is your Windows 10 is of a clean-installed version? If so, it should support Miracast then. Then why does this error still happen? Probably your display or Wi-Fi drivers are to blame. You can solve the problem through updating your drivers.
To update these drivers, the direct way is to download from the manufacturer’s website. But if you’re not confident with updating drivers manually, make use of Driver Easy to automatically find and install the correct drivers.
1) Download and install Driver Easy. Then run it on your Windows.
2) Click Scan Now. All drivers problems of your computer would be detected in less than 1 min.
3) If you try the Free version, click Update next to any flagged drivers to automatically download and install the correct version of these drivers.
Or if you use the Pro version, click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (You’ll get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee for the Pro version)
4) Reboot your Windows 10 and try to set up Miracast again.
Don’t hesitate to comment below if you have any question.