Call of Duty: Modern Warfare randomly freezes on PC when you’re enjoying a furious battle? Feel desperately frustrating but have no idea how to fix it? You’re not the only one. But don’t give up the game yet! Here’re a few fixes you can try to get your Modern Warfare back on track.
How to Fix Modern Warfare Freezing
You may not try them all, just work from the top down until you find the one that works for you.
- Check Modern Warfare’s minimum system requirements
- Avoid PC overheating
- Close background applications
- Scan and repair game files
- Change in-game graphics settings
- Update your graphics driver
- Disable in-game overlay
- Reinstall Modern Warfare
Fix 1 – Check Modern Warfare’s minimum system requirements
When troubleshooting the Modern Warfare freezing issue, the very first step is to check if your PC satisfies the minimum system requirements for the game. If not, freezing issues are no surprise, and the only way is to upgrade your PC.
Here are the minimum specs needed to play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare:
Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit (SP1) or Windows 10 64-Bit
Processor: Intel Core i3-4340 or AMD FX-6300
Memory: 8GB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 / GeForce GTX 1650 or Radeon HD 7950
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
How to check your PC specs:
To know your PC specs, you can follow the steps below:
1) On your keyboard, type the Windows logo key and R at the same time. Then, in the Run box, type dxdiag and click OK.
2) Check the information about your operating system, processor and memory.
3) Select the Display tab to see the video card’s information.
4) Select the Sound tab to view the sound card’s information.
5) Click Exit.
If your computer is above the required level to run Modern Warfare, move on to the second fix.
Fix 2 – Avoid PC overheating
Overheating is a common problem that we usually ignore when we’re immersed in a game, but it can contribute to game crashes or freezes. Clean the dust regularly and check the cooling system to ensure your PC is in a cool, well-ventilated condition.
If your game just freezes without any overheating symptoms, check the fix below.
Fix 3 – Close background applications
When programs running in the background interfere with Modern Warfare or consume too much resource, freezing issues may occur. You should shut down all unnecessary background applications when you’re gaming. Here’s how to do this:
1) Right click the taskbar and click Task Manager.
2) Right click the application you want to close and click End task.
Launch Modern Warfare to test if it runs smoothly enough to complete a match. If not, head towards Fix 4.
Fix 4 – Scan and repair game files
Missing or corrupted game files are also common causes for game crashes or freezes. Thankfully, it’s not difficult to repair them.
1) Open Battle.net app, and click Call of Duty: Modern Warfare on the left pane.
2) Click Options and select Scan and Repair.
3) Click Begin Scan.
It will automatically scan and repair any game files found to be missing or corrupted. After the process completes, relaunch Modern Warfare and check for the issue. If this doesn’t help, go for the next fix.
Fix 5 – Change in-game graphics settings
Many players will maximize the in-game settings for the best experience, but that could overload your GPU and increase the risk of freezing. Lowering the graphics parameters may make your game more fluid.
1) Launch Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and click Options.
2) Select the Graphics tab. Then, click Display Mode and select Fullscreen from the drop-down menu.
3) Disable Sync Every Frame (V-Sync).
4) Scroll down to the Details & Textures tab, and configure the settings as below:
- Texture Resolution: Medium or Low
- Texture Filter Anisotropic: Low
- Particle Quality: Low
- Bullet Impacts and Sprays: Disabled
- Tessellation: Disabled
5) Click Apply Settings.
These settings are expected to balance your game performance and visual quality. You could gradually increase the settings to see which combination works the best and won’t trigger gaming problems. If the lower settings don’t work, try Reset tab to Default, which is a solution proved useful by some players.
If Modern Warfare still freezes no matter how you change the settings, turn to the next method.
Fix 6 – Update your graphics driver
Most of the gaming annoyance such as freezes, lags or crashes come down to the driver issues. If you’re an enthusiast for action games like Modern Warfare, it’s recommended you should always have the latest graphics driver installed on your PC.
Option 1 – Download and install the driver manually
Graphics card manufacturers keep updating the drivers to fix bugs or improve stability. If you want to update them by yourself, you need to spend some time searching and installing.
1) Download the latest and correct drivers from the manufacturer’s websites such as:
2) Open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instruction to install the driver manually.
Option 2 – Automatically update the graphics driver
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update the graphics driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the flagged graphics driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at email@example.com.
If the freezing problem persists after you install the latest graphics driver, try the next fix.
Fix 7 – Disable in-game overlay
Many gamers reported the overlay features to be the culprit of Modern Warfare freezing. So if you’re using programs with overlay features such as GeForce Experience or Discord, you should disable them and check if your problem goes away.
On GeForce Experience
1) Run GeForce Experience.
2) Click the cogwheel icon at the upper right corner.
3) Toggle off In-game overlay.
Modern Warfare should be able to run smoothly after the overlay is disabled. But if, unfortunately, things don’t get any better, you should check out the last fix.
1) Run Discord, and click the cogwheel icon at the bottom of the left pane.
2) Select the Overlay tab on the left pane, and toggle off Enable in-game overlay.
If you want to disable the overlay feature just for Modern Warfare, navigate to the Games tab on the left pane, and click the computer icon next to Modern Warfare to toggle off overplay.
Launch Modern Warfare to see if the freezing issue disappears. If things don’t get any better after you turn off the overlay, check out the last fix.
Fix 8 – Reinstall Modern Warfare
If none of the preceding solutions resolves Modern Warfare freezing, you should consider reinstalling the game. It’s a bit frustrating to do so, but a simple reinstall can possibly solve all the issues you run into.
1) Run Battle.net application, and click Call of Duty: Modern Warfare on the left pane.
2) Select Options and click Uninstall Game.
3) Download the latest version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and install the game.
Hopefully, one of the fixes above helps you get back to enjoying Modern Warfare. Feel free to leave a comment below if you have any questions or suggestions.