Nothing is worse than having an app that crashes every time you launch it.
Recently, many players are reporting the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CSGO) not launching issue. The problem may occur for various reasons, most of which are hard to detect because of the number of unique hardware and software settings players have. But don’t worry. Here is a general guide to help rule out common issues.
Try these fixes:
You may not have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Restart your computer
- Run CSGO as an administrator
- Update your graphics driver
- Stop overclocking your CPU
- Verifying the integrity of game files
- Check for Windows Updates
- Reinstall your game and/or Steam
Fix 1: Restart your computer
Some programs on your computer might conflict with CSGO or Steam, causing the game to fail. Try performing a reboot to close unwanted applications to see if it fixes your problem.
If you still can’t launch CSGO after the reboot, read on and try fix 2, below.
Fix 2: Run CSGO as an administrator
CSGO may fail to access certain game files and folders if you’re running it under a standard user account. To see if that’s the cause of the launching error, try running your game as an administrator to give it high integrity access. Here is how to do it:
1) Exit Steam.
2) Right-click the Steam icon and select Run as administrator.
3) Click Yes.
4) Launch CSGO from Steam.
Hope this worked for you. If not, then go ahead with the next fix.
Fix 3: Update your graphics driver
The CSGO not launching issue is most likely to occur if you’re using the wrong graphics driver or it’s out of date. So, you should update your graphics driver to see if it fixes your issue. There are two ways you can do this:
- Option 1 – Download and install the driver manually
- Option 2 – Automatically update your graphics driver
Option 1 – Download and install the driver manually
The manufacturer of your graphics card keeps updating the driver. To get the latest correct driver, you need to go to the manufacturer website, find the driver corresponding with your specific flavor of Windows version (for example, Windows 32 bit) and download the driver manually.
Once you’ve downloaded the correct driver for your system, double-click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Option 2 – Automatically update your graphics driver
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update the graphics driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the graphics driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
Fix 4: Stop overclocking your CPU
An unstable overclock will crash your game and the whole system. If you overclocked your GPU, that may be the issue. So, you should set your CPU clock speed rate back to the default to see if it fixes your issue.
If your issue continues to occur, go to the next fix.
Fix 5: Verify the integrity of your game files
If CSGO still won’t launch, you may have one or more corrupted or outdated game files that are conflicting with the game. In this case, try verifying the integrity of your game files on Steam. Here is how to do it:
1) Run Steam.
2) Click LIBRARY.
3) Right-click Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and select Properties.
4) Click the LOCAL FILES tab, then click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES.
5) This could take several minutes. Wait for the process to be complete. (Steam will fix corrupted files if it detects any.) Then, relaunch your game to test your issue.
Fix 6: Check for Windows updates
If a game won’t run at all, it’s unlikely that the out-of-date Windows version is the core problem, but you should still rule out the possibility. Follow the instructions below:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key. Then, type windows update and select Windows Update settings.
2) Click Check for updates, and then wait for Windows to download and install the updates automatically.
Restart your computer after the update is complete, then try running CSGO again. If the issue persists, try the fix, below.
Fix 7: Reinstall your game and/or Steam
If none of the fixes above worked for you, reinstalling your game and/or Steam is very likely the solution to your problem. Follow the instructions below:
1) Run Steam.
2) Click LIBRARY.
3) Right-click Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and select Uninstall.
4) Click DELETE.
5) Relaunch Steam to download and reinstall CSGO.
If the game is still not launching, try reinstalling the game launcher.
1) Right-click the Steam icon and select Open file location.
2) Right-click the steamapps folder and select Copy. Then, place the copy in another location to back it up.
3) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type control. Then, click Control Panel.
4) Under View by, select Category. Then, select Uninstall a program.
5) Right-click Steam, and then click Uninstall. Then, wait for the process to be complete.
6) Download and install Steam.
7) Right-click the Steam icon and select Open file location.
8) Move the backup steamapps folder you create before to your current directory location.
9) Restart CSGO to test your problem.
Hopefully, this article helped in resolving your issue! If none of the solutions here worked for you, we recommend reaching out to the game’s developer for in-depth support.
Feel free to leave a comment below if you have any questions and suggestions.