Destiny 2: Beyond Light, another gorgeous expansion for Destiny 2, is finally here. However, new games are not always free from bugs and issues. According to many players, the game crashes either on launch or in the middle of the gameplay. That’s irritating, but in fact this problem can be fixed easily.
Try these fixes:
We’ve collected 5 working fixes for Destiny 2 Beyond Light crashing. You don’t have to try them all; just work from the top down until you find the one that does the trick.
- Verify the integrity of your game files
- Update your graphics driver
- Set high priority
- Disable the shader cache
- Reinstall Destiny 2: Beyond Light
Fix 1 – Verify the integrity of your game files
Missing or damaged game files is a common cause of most gaming issues. So if your Destiny 2 Beyond Light keeps crashing, it’s wise to validate the game files first.
- Launch your Steam client, and navigate to the Library tab.
- Right-click Destiny 2: Beyond Light from the game list, and click Properties.
- Select the Local Files tab, and click Verify Integrity of Game Files.
It’s will take a few minutes for Steam to detect and repair any corrupted files. Upon completion, you can relaunch Beyond Light to see if it crashes again. If yes, proceed to more fixes below.
Fix 2 – Update your graphics driver
The Destiny 2 Beyond Light crashing issue may indicate your graphics card driver is corrupted or out-of-date. To ensure a smooth and immersive gaming experience, you should keep your graphics driver up-to-date at all times.
Option 1 – Update the graphics driver manually
GPU manufacturers keep releasing new drivers to fix bugs with new titles and improve game performance. You can visit their official websites and download the correct drivers corresponding with your Windows version:
Once you’ve downloaded the correct drivers for your system, double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Option 2 – Update the graphics driver automatically (recommended)
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your graphics driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for your exact graphics card and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly:
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All). You can also click Update to do it for free, but it’s partly manual.
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Test how Destiny 2 Beyond Light works after the driver update. If the crashes persist, move on to the next fix below.
Fix 3 – Set high priority
Setting high priority for Beyond Light allows it to access more system resources than other programs and thus run more smoothly. Here’s how:
- Right-click any empty space on the taskbar and click Task Manager.
- Select the Details tab.
- Right-click the Destiny 2: Beyond Light.exe file. Then, mouse over Set priority and select Above normal or High.
- Click Change priority to confirm.
Relaunch the game and check whether it runs properly or not. If not, there are two more fixes below.
Fix 4 – Disable the shader cache
If you’re using an NVIDIA graphics card, it’s possible the shader cache has messed up with Destiny 2 Beyond Light and caused the glitches. Try disabling this option to see if the crash stops.
- Right-click any blank area on the desktop, and click NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Click 3D Settings > Manage 3D settings on the left pane.
- Under the Global Settings section, scroll down and turn off Shader Cache.
- Go to C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NV_Cache and delete the content of that folder. (You can also copy them and store them elsewhere.)
Launch Beyond Light again and the crashing problem should no longer occur. If not, go to Fix 5 below.
Fix 5 – Reinstall Destiny 2: Beyond Light
A fresh reinstallation can effectively solve stubborn underlying program issues. So, if you’ve attempted all the fixes above but to no avail, try reinstalling the game as a last resort.
- Open Steam and click the Library tab.
- Right-click Destiny 2 Beyond Light and click Manage > Uninstall.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and E at the same time to open File Explorer.
- Go to this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common. Then, delete the Destiny 2 Beyond Light folder.
Now that the game is clean removed from your PC, download it again on Steam and check if it works without problems.
Hopefully the simple fixes above are helpful to you. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to drop a comment below.