Fortnite freezes frequently on your computer? This is quite irritating and you’re certainly not the only one who faces this issue. Many Windows users are reporting it. But the good news is that you can fix it. Here are 8 methods you can try.
Try these fixes:
- Check your computer specifications
- Restart your computer
- Run Epic Games Launcher as an administrator
- Update your graphics driver
- Verify your game file
- Check for Windows Updates
- Install the latest Fortnite patch
- Reinstall Fortnite
Fix 1: Check your computer specifications
To make Fortnite run smoothly, make sure that your computer meets Fortnite’s minimum system requirement. Here is how to check your system information:
OS: Windows 7/8/10 64-bit
Processor: Core i3 2.4 Ghz
Graphics Card: Intel HD 4000
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to invoke the Run dialog.
2) Type msinfo32 and click OK.
3) Check the information of your OS, Processor and Memory.
4) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to invoke the Run dialog.
5) Type dxdiag and click OK.
6) Click the Display tab, and then check your graphics card.
If your computer meets the requirement, read on and check the fix below.
Fix 2: Restart your computer
Some programs running on your computer may conflict with Fortnite or Epic Game Launcher, resulting in errors when you’re gaming. To fix it, you can simply restart your computer, and then relaunch your game.
If your problem still exists after the reboot, don’t worry. There are still 6 more fixes to try.
Fix 3: Run Epic Games Launcher as an administrator
Epic Game Launcher sometimes may require administrator privileges to perform certain functions. If that’s the cause of your problem, try running your game as an administrator. Here is how to do it:
1) If Epic Game Launcher is running on your computer now, right-click the Epic Game icon on the taskbar and click Exit.
2) Right-click the Epic Game icon and select Run as administrator.
3) If you’re prompted about permissions, select Yes.
Restart your game to see if this worked for you. If it didn’t, read on and check the fix below.
Fix 4: Update your graphics driver
One of the most common causes of this problem is an outdated or a faulty graphics card driver.
There are two ways you can update your graphics driver:
Option 1 – Manually– You’ll need some computer skills and patience to update your drivers this way, because you need to find exactly the right the driver online, download it and install it step by step.
Option 2 – Automatically (Recommended)– This is the quickest and easiest option. It’s all done with just a couple of mouse clicks – easy even if you’re a computer newbie.
Option 1 – Download and install the driver manually
The manufacturer of your graphics product keeps updating driver. To get the latest graphics driver, you need to go to the manufacturer website, find the drivers corresponding with your specific flavor of Windows version (for example, Windows 32 bit) and download the driver manually.
Once you’ve downloaded the correct drivers for your system, double-click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Option 2 – Automatically update your graphics drivers
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update the graphics driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
Fix 5: Verify your Fortnite files
Fortnite may crash when a certain game file is damaged or missing. To fix it, try verifying the integrity of your game files. Here is how:
1) Open Epic Games Launcher
2) Click Library, then click the Settings icon.
3) Click Verify.
Relaunch your game to after the process is complete and check if this worked for you. If not, try the fix below.
Fix 6: Check for Windows updates
Windows updates can address bugs related to both hardware and software. So make sure you’ve install all the new Windows updates to keep your applications running smoothly. Here is how to do it:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key. Then, type windows updateand select Windows Update settings.
2) Click Check for updates, and then wait for Windows to download and install the updates automatically.
3) Restart your computer after the update is complete.
Restart your game to see if this worked for you. If not, try the fix below.
Fix 7: Install the latest Fortnite patch
The developers of Fortnite release regular game patches to fix bugs. It’s possible that a recent patch has stopped your chat from working, and that a new patch is required to fix it.
To check if there is any update, go to the Fortnite official website and search for the latest patch. If a patch is available, install it, then run Fortnite again to check whether your chat problem has been resolved. If it hasn’t, or there was no new game patch available, move on to Fix 8, below.
Fix 8: Reinstall Fortnite
If none of the above fixes resolves your problem, try reinstalling Fortnite. Follow the instructions below:
1) Run Epic Games Launcher.
2) Click Library and then click the Setting button.
3) Click Uninstall.
4) Restart your PC after you uninstall Fortnite.
5) Run the Epic Games Launcher to download and install Fortnite again.
Hopefully, one of the fixes above helped in resolving your problem. If you have any questions and suggestions, feel free to leave a comment below.