If you have high packet Internet groper (ping) in League of Legends, it’s very likely that you’re also experiencing huge lag spikes at the same time. Undoubtedly lag issue may sometimes cause you to tear your hair out, especially when you’re having a tough fight in the game. However, there’s no need to get depressed so soon – you may try the fixes we offer you here one by one and see if they do the trick for you.
How do I check my ping in League of Legends?
The easiest way to check your ping in League of Legends (LOL) is pressing Ctrl + F on your keyboard to display frames per second (fps) and ping time in the upper right corner of your game screen. You should join a battle prior to applying this function.
The following screenshot shows what you’ll see after pressing Ctrl + F. Obviously this ping (211 ms) is very high.
But if nothing happens after you press Ctrl + F, here’s the guidance for you to display your fps and ping on the screen:
1) Click the gear icon in the upper right of your launch screen.
2) On the HOTKEYS tab, in the results pane, scroll down to locate the DISPLAY item. Click on it to open the drop-down menu. Then set the hotkeys for Toggle FPS Display to your liking.
3) Join a battle and press the hotkeys you’ve set just now. This time you should be able to see your ping and fps on the screen.
How do I determine if my ping is high?
Ping, also referred to as latency, measures the round-trip time for data sent from your computer to reach a central server and for the response to return. The unit of ping or latency is milliseconds, or ms for short. Answers may vary if you’d like to know what is a good ping time and what is not. In the most generic sense, there’s no such a standard for ping time because latency is largely determined by the distance between you and the game’s server. But if you’re experiencing noticeable lag spikes in LOL, that means your ping is very likely to be high.
Usually if your ping time is below 30 ms, you can play LOL rather smoothly; but if it’s above 100 ms, lag issues will probably come along. When you find out that you’re actually having high ping, then you should be well aware of your network status.
8 fixes for your high ping issue
Here’re 8 fixes that prove to be useful for many LOL players. Just work you way down the list to find out the one that solves your problem!
Fix 1: Download the latest game patches
If you’re also playing other games on your PC, launch them and see whether you have high ping as well. If the problem remains, then the cause should be rooted in your network; otherwise it’s the game’s server to blame for the lag spikes especially when you got the issue right after updating LOL.
Once you find out that you have high ping only in LOL, contact Riot Games for assistance. You can either contact them proactively, or wait until they fix the problem themselves. If so many players have reported the same issue to them, Riot Games will try to offer solutions by releasing new game patches. Usually you don’t need to worry about missing these updates because LOL will download the latest patches automatically when you launch it.
If updating LOL doesn’t solve your problem, please move on to the next fix.
Fix 2: Restart your router & modem
You should restart your modem and router especially if they haven’t been switched off for a long time. Just give them some time to cool off and clear up the cache. Here’s how to do it:
1) Unplug both your router and modem.
2) Wait at least 30 seconds to let the two machines cool down a bit.
3) Plug the modem back in and wait until the indicator lights are back to their normal state.
4) Plug the router back in this time. Likewise, wait until the indicator lights are back to their normal state.
5) Now that your routers and modem have been restarted properly, you can launch LOL again to see if the high ping issue goes away.
In case you still have huge latency problems, read on and check out the next fix.
Fix 3: Close bandwidth hogging applications
Bandwidth hogging applications will slow down your network and trigger the high ping issue in games. Before you launch LOL, remember to shut down the resource-hungry apps running in the background. Here’s how:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows Logo key and R at the same time to invoke the Run dialog box. Type in resmon and hit Enter.
2) Here pops up the Resource Monitor window. Click the Network tab and pay attention to the Total (B/sec) column. In this way, you’ll get an intuitive understanding of what process is now using the most of your network resources.
3) Right-click on the application that occupies much of your bandwidth and select End Process from its context menu.
4) When Windows asks you to confirm, click End process.
5) Your trouble is sometimes caused by interference from antivirus software. To see if that’s the problem for you, temporarily disable your antivirus program and check if the high ping issue reoccurs. (Consult your antivirus documentation for instructions on disabling it.)
If you no longer have lag spikes in LOL after you disable the antivirus, contact the vendor of your antivirus software and ask them for advice, or install a different antivirus solution.
If this fix didn’t help, you should proceed to Fix 4.
Fix 4: Update your device drivers
As reported by many players, their ping time in LOL has gone back to normal after they updated the device drivers. Some of you may only consider updating the network card drivers but that’s not enough. Try to keep all your device drivers up-to-date and see if that makes a difference for you.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy takes care of everything.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
Note: you can do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual.
After updating your drivers, check to see whether the issue still remains. If you continue to experience serious lag spikes, try out the next fix below.
Fix 5: Use Hextech Repair Tool for automated troubleshooting
Hextech Repair Tool is an automated troubleshooting utility provided by Riot Game. It can diagnose the tech issues you have in LOL and fix them, including the high ping issue.
You can download Hextech Repair Tool from this website:
After you land on the site, follow the instructions to install Hextech Repair Tool and run it. Wait to see if it can fix your high ping issue. If so, then you should be able to play LOL rather smoothly. Otherwise please move on to Fix 6 below.
Fix 6: Disable your proxy & VPN
If you’re using a VPN or a proxy, make sure you disable them before getting started to play LOL. These are useful tools to protect your privacy online, but they can also be the causes of your high ping issue.
To disconnect from your proxy server and VPN, here are the steps:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and I at the same time to invoke the Settings window. Then click Network & Internet.
2) On the Proxy tab, in the results pane, under Automatically detect settings and use setup script, turn off all the toggles.
3) Also, don’t forget to disconnect your VPN if you’re using it.
4) Launch LOL and test your ping time.
Don’t lose your hope if you still cannot fix your high ping issue after trying all the methods above. Just read the next fix and give it a shot.
Fix 7: Change your DNS server
Try to switch your ISP’s DNS server to the Google Public DNS address. This may improve the resolve time and provide you with more security online. Here’s the procedure:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows Logo key and R at the same time to open the Run dialog box. Then type in control panel and press Enter.
2) Expand View by: and select Category. Then click View network status and tasks.
3) In the next window, click Change adapter settings.
4) Right-click on your network and select Properties.
5) Double-click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) to view its properties.
6) In the pop-up window, select these two options: Obtain an IP address automatically and Use the following DNS server addresses.
For the Preferred DNS server, enter 188.8.131.52 to replace the primary IP address; for the Alternate DNS server, enter 184.108.40.206. Then click OK to save the changes.
7) Reboot your PC and launch LOL. Check your ping in the game and see whether the problem has been solved.
If your high ping issue persists, then read on and try the next fix below.
Fix 8: Swap Wi-Fi to an Ethernet connection
If none of the fixes above work for you, then maybe you should shift your focus to the Wi-Fi signal around. Admittedly, a wireless network is not as stable as a wired one so you’ll get more interruption if your computer is connected to Wi-Fi. For example, when you’re playing LOL in a room far away from your router, the Wi-Fi signal you receive can be rather weak and hence the high ping issue in LOL.
To solve this problem, you should swap Wi-Fi to an Ethernet connection but this is not practical for everyone. Alternatively, you can buy a powerline Ethernet adapter which extends the reach of your home network to places with poor wireless coverage. Once your network problem is solved, your high ping issue in LOL can also be fixed once and for all.
Also, you should avoid possible wireless interference that weakens your Wi-Fi signal such as cordless phones and microwave ovens. Place them far away from your router, or simply move your laptop to a new location with stronger Wi-Fi signal.
We’ll be glad if any of the fixes above help you resolve the high ping issue in League of Legends. Please feel free to leave a comment below if you have further questions or ideas. Hopefully you’ll have wonderful gaming experience and work your way up to the best player!