Risk of Rain 2 crashes now and then while you’re gaming? This is quite irritating and you’re certainly not the only one who faces it. Many Windows users are reporting this issue. But the good news is you can fix it. This article gives you 6 methods to try.
Try these fixes:
You may not have to try them all. Just work your way down the list until you find the one that works.
- Restart your computer
- Run Steam as administrator
- Disable your antivirus temporarily
- Verify the integrity of your game files
- Update your graphics driver
- Reinstall Steam
Fix 1: Restart your computer
Some programs running on your computer may conflict with your game or Steam, resulting in errors when you’re gaming. To fix it, you can simply restart your computer, and then relaunch your game.
If your problem still exists after the reboot, don’t worry. There are still 5 more fixes to try.
Fix 2: Run Steam as an administrator
Steam sometimes may require administrator privileges to perform certain functions. If that’s the cause of your problem, try running Steam as an administrator, and then launching your game from Steam client. Here is how to do it:
1) If Steam is running on your computer now, right-click the Steam icon on the taskbar and select Exit.
2) Right-click the Steam icon and select Run as administrator.
3) Click Yes.
Restart your game to see if this worked for you. If it didn’t, read on and check the fix below.
Fix 3: Disable your antivirus temporarily
Your problem is sometimes caused by interference from antivirus software. To see if that’s the problem for you, temporarily disable your antivirus program and check if the problem persists. (Consult your antivirus documentation for instructions on disabling it.)
If the game works properly after you disable the antivirus software, contact the vendor of your antivirus software and ask them for advice, or install a different antivirus solution.
If this didn’t help, try the fix below.
Fix 4: Verify the integrity of your game files
Your game may crash when a certain game file is damaged or missing. To fix it, try verifying the integrity of your game files on the Steam client. Here is how:
1) Run Steam.
2) Click LIBRARY.
3) Right-click Risk of Rain 2 and select Properties.
4) Click the LOCAL FILES tab, and then click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES.
If there is any damaged or missing file, Steam client will fix it automatically. Wait for this process to be complete, and then relaunch your game to see if it works correctly. If it didn’t, try the next fix.
Fix 5: Update your graphics driver
One of the most common causes of this problem is an outdated or a faulty graphics driver.
There are two ways you can get the right driver for your graphics product: manually or automatically.
Manual driver update – You can update your graphics driver manually by going to the manufacturer’s website for your graphics product, and searching for the most recent correct driver. Be sure to choose only driver that is compatible with your Windows version.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your graphics driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your graphics product, and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the graphics driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
Fix 6: Reinstall Steam
Corrupt or missing Steam files may also cause your game to crash. In this case, a reinstall is very likely the solution to your problem. Here is how to reinstall Steam without losing your game content:
1) Right-click the Steam icon and select Open file location.
2) Right-click the steamapps folder and select Copy. Then, place the copy in another location to back it up.
3) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type control. Then, click Control Panel.
4) Under View by, select Category. Then, select Uninstall a program.
5) Right-click Steam, and then click Uninstall.
6) Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall Steam, and then wait for the process to be complete.
7) Download Steam.
8) Open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install Steam. Then, wait for the process to be complete.
9) Right-click the Steam icon and select Open file location.
10) Move the backup steamapps folder you create before to your current directory location.
Restart your game to see if it runs smoothly.
Hopefully, this article helped in resolving your problem! If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below.