Encountering crashing issues while playing Risk of Rain 2 can be frustrating. These crashes may result from a variety of factors, such as outdated graphics drivers, software conflicts, corrupted game files, low RAM, or incompatible game settings.
It can be challenging, if not possible, to identify the core issue of the game crash since you all have your own game settings and use unique hardware, but no worries. This article provides 6 solutions to help you rule out common causes of this error and potentially resolve this problem.
Fixes to try:
You may not have to try them all. Just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Update your graphics driver
- Run Steam as administrator
- Disable your antivirus temporarily
- Verify the integrity of game files
- Run the game in compatibility mode
- Reinstall Steam
Fix 1: Update your graphics driver
Game issues, including crashes, freezing, or lag, are often caused by outdated or corrupted graphics drivers. Keeping your graphics driver up to date is a critical step. There are two ways you can get the correct graphics driver:
Manual driver update – You can update your graphics driver manually by going to the manufacturer’s website for your graphics product, and searching for the most recent correct driver. Be sure to choose only driver that is compatible with your Windows version.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your graphics driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your graphics product, and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the graphics driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4) Restart your computer and the game to test your issue.
If this didn’t resolve your issue, then go ahead with the next fix below.
Fix 2: Run Steam as an administrator
Risk of Rain 2 might not have full access to your PC’s game files or folders in normal user mode. To check if this is the cause of the crashing issue, try running Steam with administrator privileges.
1) Exit Steam.
2) Right-click the Steam icon and select Run as administrator.
3) Click Yes.
Restart your game to see if this worked for you. If Risk of Rain 2 still crashes, go ahead with the fix below.
Fix 3: Disable your antivirus temporarily
Sometimes, antivirus software can interfere with game performance. Temporarily disabling your antivirus can help determine if it’s causing the problem. You can consult your antivirus documentation for instructions on disabling it.
If disabling your antivirus resolves the issue, consider contacting the vendor of your antivirus software and ask them for advice, or install a different antivirus solution.
Fix 4: Verify the integrity of game files
Occasionally, game files can become corrupted or altered due to malware on your PC. If your game is crashing for no obvious reason, consider verifying the integrity of your game files through Steam.
1) Run Steam.
2) Click LIBRARY.
3) Right-click Risk of Rain 2 and select Properties.
4) Click the LOCAL FILES tab, and then click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES.
Steam will replace corrupted game files automatically if it detects any. Relaunch your game to see if it works correctly now. If not, try the next fix.
Fix 5: Run your game in compatibility mode
Incompatibility with Windows updates can lead to game crashes. If you experience crashes after updating Windows, try running Risk of Rain 2 in compatibility mode:
1) Right-click the Risk of Rain 2 icon, then select Properties.
2) Click the Compatibility tab. Then check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for.
3) Click the list box below to select Windows 7, then click Apply > OK.
4) Relaunch your game to check if your issue has been resolved.
If your problem still exists, go ahead with the fix below.
Fix 6: Reinstall Steam
Uninstalling and reinstalling Steam will remove and replace the files that run the game. If none of the fixes worked for you, reinstalling Steam and the game is very likely the solution to your problem. Here is how to do it:
1) Right-click the Steam icon and select Open file location.
2) Right-click the steamapps folder and select Copy. Then, place the copy in another location to back it up.
3) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type control. Then, click Control Panel.
4) Under View by, select Category. Then, select Uninstall a program.
5) Right-click Steam, and then click Uninstall.
6) Download and install Steam.
7) Right-click the Steam icon and select Open file location.
8) Move the backup steamapps folder you created before to your current directory location.
After these steps, your game should run without crashing. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below.