You may run into Risk of Rain 2 crashing issues for various reasons, such as a faulty graphics driver, software conflicts, corrupted game files, low RAM, outdated game version, etc. If you’re experiencing the crashing issue while playing Risk of Rain 2, try the solutions here to rule out common problem before contacting the game’s developer.
How to fix Risk of Rain 2 crash?
You may not have to try them all. Just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Update your graphics driver
- Restart your computer
- Run Steam as administrator
- Disable your antivirus temporarily
- Verify the integrity of your game files
- Run your game in compatibility mode
- Reinstall Steam
Fix 1: Update your graphics driver
Game issues, such as game crashing, freezing or lagging, are likely to occur if you’re using a outdated or corrupted graphics driver. So when something goes wrong with Risk of Rain 2, updating your graphics driver should always be your go-to option. There are two ways you can get the correct graphics driver:
Manual driver update – You can update your graphics driver manually by going to the manufacturer’s website for your graphics product, and searching for the most recent correct driver. Be sure to choose only driver that is compatible with your Windows version.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your graphics driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your graphics product, and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the graphics driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
Fix 2: Restart your computer
Restarting your computer can reset anything running in the memory that might cause the game to crash. Then, relaunch your game to test your issue. If your problem still exists after the reboot, move on to the fix below.
Fix 3: Run Steam as an administrator
Under normal user mode, Risk of Rain 2 doesn’t have full access to all game files or folders on your PC. To see if that’s the cause of the crashing issue, try granting admin privileges to your game. Here is how to do it:
1) Exit Steam.
2) Right-click the Steam icon and select Run as administrator.
3) Click Yes.
Restart your game to see if this worked for you. If Risk of Rain 2 still crashes, go ahead with the fix below.
Fix 4: Disable your antivirus temporarily
Your problem is sometimes caused by interference from antivirus software. To see if that’s the problem for you, temporarily disable your antivirus program and check if the problem persists. (Consult your antivirus documentation for instructions on disabling it.)
If the game works properly after you disable the antivirus software, contact the vendor of your antivirus software and ask them for advice, or install a different antivirus solution.
If this didn’t help, move on to the fix below.
Fix 5: Verify the integrity of your game files
Occasionally, if you have malware on your PC, game files become corrupted or altered. If your game is crashing for no reason, try verify the integrity of your game files. Here is how:
1) Run Steam.
2) Click LIBRARY.
3) Right-click Risk of Rain 2 and select Properties.
4) Click the LOCAL FILES tab, and then click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES.
Steam will replace corrupted game files automatically if it detects any. Relaunch your game to see if it works correctly now. If not, try the next fix.
Fix 6: Run your game in compatibility mode
Some Windows updates may not be compatible with Risk of Rain 2, keeping it from function properly. If your game starts crashing after Windows updates, try running it in compatibility mode. Follow the instructions below:
1) Right-click the Risk of Rain 2 icon, then select Properties.
2) Click the Compatibility tab. Then check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for.
3) Click the list box below to select Windows 7, then click Apply > OK.
4) Relaunch your game to check if your issue had been resolved.
If your problem still exists, go ahead with the fix below.
Fix 7: Reinstall Steam
Uninstalling and reinstalling Steam will remove and replace the files that run the game. If none of the fixes worked for you, reinstalling Steam and your game is very likely the solution to your problem. Here is how to do it:
1) Right-click the Steam icon and select Open file location.
2) Right-click the steamapps folder and select Copy. Then, place the copy in another location to back it up.
3) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type control. Then, click Control Panel.
4) Under View by, select Category. Then, select Uninstall a program.
5) Right-click Steam, and then click Uninstall.
6) Download and install Steam.
7) Right-click the Steam icon and select Open file location.
8) Move the backup steamapps folder you create before to your current directory location.
You should be able to run your game without crashing now. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below.