Risk of Rain 2 constantly crashes your computer? You’re not alone. Many players are reporting it. But the good news is you can fix it. Here is a list of fixes that have proved useful to many players.
Why does Risk of Rain 2 keep crashing?
You may run into issues of crashing for different reasons. Common causes of game crashing are a faulty graphics driver, outdated game version, improper in-game settings, and low RAM–these. Besides, running multiple programs on your computer at the same time can hog your resources and cause your game to fail… but don’t worry. Check the solutions below.
How to fix Risk of Rain 2 crashing?
You may not have to try them all. Just work your way down the list until you find the one that works.
- Update your graphics driver
- Restart your computer
- Run Steam as administrator
- Disable your antivirus temporarily
- Verify the integrity of your game files
- Run your game in compatibility mode
- Reinstall Steam
Fix 1: Update your graphics driver
One of the most common causes of game issues, such as crashing, freezing or lagging problem, is the outdated or corrupted graphics driver. So when something goes wrong with Risk of Rain 2, updating your graphics driver should always be your go-to option.
There are two ways you can get the right driver for your graphics product: manually or automatically.
Manual driver update – You can update your graphics driver manually by going to the manufacturer’s website for your graphics product, and searching for the most recent correct driver. Be sure to choose only driver that is compatible with your Windows version.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your graphics driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your graphics product, and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the graphics driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
Fix 2: Restart your computer
Some programs running on your computer may conflict with Risk of Rain 2 or Steam, resulting in errors when you’re gaming. To fix it, try restarting your computer to end unwanted programs completely, then relaunch your game.
If your problem still exists after the reboot, don’t worry. Check the fix below.
Fix 3: Run Steam as an administrator
Under normal user mode, Steam or Risk of Rain 2 sometimes may fail to access certain game files, which may be the reason why your game keeps crashing. To see if that’s the problem, try running Steam as an administrator, and then launch your game from Steam client.
Here is how to do it:
1) If Steam is running on your computer now, right-click the Steam icon on the taskbar and select Exit.
2) Right-click the Steam icon and select Run as administrator.
3) Click Yes.
Restart your game to see if this worked for you. If Risk of Rain 2 still crashes, go ahead with the fix below.
Fix 4: Disable your antivirus temporarily
Your problem is sometimes caused by interference from antivirus software. To see if that’s the problem for you, temporarily disable your antivirus program and check if the problem persists. (Consult your antivirus documentation for instructions on disabling it.)
If the game works properly after you disable the antivirus software, contact the vendor of your antivirus software and ask them for advice, or install a different antivirus solution.
If this didn’t help, move on to the fix below.
Fix 5: Verify the integrity of your game files
Risk of Rain 2 is likely to crash when a certain game file is damaged or missing. To see if that’s the cause of your issue, try verifying the integrity of your game files on the Steam client. Follow the instructions below:
1) Run Steam.
2) Click LIBRARY.
3) Right-click Risk of Rain 2 and select Properties.
4) Click the LOCAL FILES tab, and then click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES.
Steam will fix corrupted game files automatically if it detects any. Wait for this process to be complete, and then relaunch your game to see if it works correctly. If not, try the next fix.
Fix 6: Run your game in compatibility mode
Some Windows updates may not be compatible with Risk of Rain 2, keeping it from function properly. In this case, try running your game in compatibility mode to see if it fixes your issue. Here is how to do it:
1) Right-click the Risk of Rain 2 icon, then select Properties.
2) Click the Compatibility tab. Then check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for.
3) Click the list box below to select Windows 7, then click Apply > OK.
4) Relaunch your game to check if your issue had been resolved.
You should be able to play Risk of Rain 2 now. If your problem still exists, go ahead with the fix below.
Fix 7: Reinstall Steam
Corrupt or missing Steam files may also cause your game to crash. In this case, a reinstall is very likely the solution to your problem. Here is how to reinstall Steam without losing your game content:
1) Right-click the Steam icon and select Open file location.
2) Right-click the steamapps folder and select Copy. Then, place the copy in another location to back it up.
3) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type control. Then, click Control Panel.
4) Under View by, select Category. Then, select Uninstall a program.
5) Right-click Steam, and then click Uninstall.
6) Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall Steam, and then wait for the process to be complete.
7) Download Steam.
8) Open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install Steam. Then, wait for the process to be complete.
9) Right-click the Steam icon and select Open file location.
10) Move the backup steamapps folder you create before to your current directory location.
You should be able to run your game without crashing now. Enjoy! If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below.