Rust isn’t responding on your computer? This is quite irritating and you’re certainly not the only one who faces this issue. Many players are reporting it. But the good news is that you can fix it. Here are 8 fixes to try.
OS: Windows 7 64bit
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 / AMD FX-9590 or better
Memory: 10 GB RAM
Graphics: GTX 670 2GB / AMD R9 280 better
Storage: 20 GB available space
Try these fixes:
- Restart your computer
- Update your graphics driver
- Change the power option
- Repair the Easy Anti-Cheat
- Configure your in-game graphics settings
- Change the Process Affinity settings
- Reinstall Rust
- Reinstall Steam
Fix 1: Restart your computer
Some programs running in your computer may conflict with Rust or Steam client, resulting in this issue when you’re gaming. To fix it, you can simply restart your computer, and then relaunch your game to test your problem.
If your problem still exists after the reboot, don’t worry. Read on and try the fix below.
Fix 2: Update your graphics driver
One of the most common causes of this issue is an outdated or a faulty graphics driver. It’s essential that you have the latest graphics driver at all times.
There are two ways you can get the right driver for your graphics product: manually or automatically.
Manual driver update – You can update your graphics driver manually by going to the manufacturer’s website for your graphics product, and searching for the most recent correct driver. Be sure to choose only driver that is compatible with your Windows version.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your graphics driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your graphics product, and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the graphics driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
Fix 3: Change the power option
The power plan on your computer is set to Balanced by default to save more energy. In this case, your game might not be able to run smoothly, try changing your power plan to High performance to see if it helps. Here is how:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to open the Run dialog.
2) Type powercfg.cpl into the box and press Enter.
3) Select the High performance option.
Restart your computer, and then relaunch your game to test your issue.
Fix 4: Repair the EasyAntiCheat
The EasyAntiCheat service is installed automatically with Rust. When it becomes corrupted somehow, Rust may fail to respond correctly. So you should check the EasyAntiCheat. Here is how:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and E at the same time.
2) Type easyanticheat in the search box and press Enter on your keyboard.
3) Right-click EasyAntiCheat_Setup.exe, and then select Run as administrator.
4) Click the list box and select Rust from the drop-down list. Then, click Repair Service.
After the process is complete, relaunch your game to check if your problem has been resolved. If not, read on and try the fix, below.
Fix 5: Configure your in-game graphics settings
Improper game settings can also affect your Rust performance. Try lowering your in-game graphics settings to see if that works for you. Follow the instructions below:
1) Run Rust.
2) Click the Settings button.
3) Click the GRAPHICS tab, and then modify the graphics settings following the screenshot below.
Relaunch your game to check if this fixed your problem. Rust should be able to run smoothly now. If not, try the fix below.
Fix 6: Change the Process Affinity setting
Sometimes the reason why Rust isn’t responding is because it didn’t use the full potential of your CPU properly. In this case, you should change the Process Affinity settings to give your game full power of your CPU and Processors. Here is how:
1) Launch Rust.
2) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo keys to minimize Rust and switch to your desktop.
3) On your keyboard, press the Ctrl, Shift and Esc keys at the same time to run Task Manager.
4) Click the Details tab.
5) Right click Rust and select Set Affinity.
6) Check all the boxes available and click OK.
Try launching your game again. If your problem persists, don’t fret, try the fix below.
Fix 7: Reinstall Rust
If the solutions above didn’t help, it’s time to reinstall Rust. Follow the instructions below:
1) Run Steam.
2) Click LIBRARY.
3) Right-click Rust and select Uninstall.
4) Click DELETE.
5) Download and reinstall Rust.
6) Try launching your game.
If Rust run smoothly now, that’s great! If not, check the fix, below.
Fix 8: Reinstall Steam
If none of the fixes above worked for you, reinstalling Steam is very likely the solution to your problem. Here is how to reinstall Steam without losing your game content:
1) Right-click the Steam icon and select Open file location.
2) Right-click the steamapps folder and select Copy. Then, place the copy in another location to back it up.
3) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type control. Then, click Control Panel.
4) Under View by, select Category. Then, select Uninstall a program.
5) Right-click Steam, and then click Uninstall. Then, wait for the process to be complete.
6) Download and install Steam.
7) Right-click the Steam icon and select Open file location.
8) Move the backup steamapps folder you create before to your current directory location.
9) Restart Rust to test your problem.
Hopefully, this article helped in resolving your issue! If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below.