Released on 27 Aug, 2021, Tormented Souls has redefined classic survival horror. Although Tormented Souls has received lots of praise, the game still has some known errors and issues. If Tormented Souls keeps crashing on your PC, don’t worry. You’ve landed in the right spot. After reading this article, you should be able to fix the game crashing issues on your own quickly & easily!
Try these fixes
Here we’ve put together the latest fixes that solved this issue for many PC gamers. Whether Tormented Souls crashes on startup or crashes in the middle of the game, you can find a fix to try in this article.
You don’t need to try them all. Just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Verify and repair the game files
- Update your graphics driver
- Install the latest game patch
- Disable the Steam overlay
- Temporarily Disable 3rd-party antivirus software
- Stop overclocking
- Perform a clean boot
Verify and repair the game files
Before trying anything more complicated, you should verify the integrity of the game files first, as the game file corruption would lead to the game crashing issues.
You can follow the steps below to verify and repair the game files in Steam:
- Launch Steam and go to your Library.
- Right-click on Tormented Souls and select Properties.
- Click LOCAL FILES on the left, then click Verify integrity of game files…. It may take some time to finish verifying the game files. If Steam finds anything wrong with the game files, it will re-download them from its official server.
When the verifying process completed, Run Tormented Souls and check if this fix works. If the game still crashes, try the next fix, below.
Update your graphics driver
Graphics driver is essential to the functioning of video games. If Tormented Souls keeps crashing on your PC, it indicates that you’re using the corrupted or outdated graphics driver. So you should update your drivers to see if it fixes the game crashing issues.
You can update your graphics driver manually by visiting the manufacturer’s website (NVIDIA / AMD / Intel), and find the latest graphics drivers for your computer.
If you don’t have the time, patience or skills to update the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to be troubled by the wrong driver you would be downloading, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy handles it all.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 steps (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
Note: You can do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Install the latest game patch
The developer of Tormented Souls releases regular game patches to fix bugs and improve gaming performance. It’s possible that a recent patch has caused the game crash issue, and that a new patch is required to fix it.
If a patch is available, it will be detected by the Steam client, and the latest game patch will be automatically downloaded and installed when you launch the game.
Run Tormented Souls again to check if the game crash issue has been resolved.
If it didn’t work, or there was no new game patch available, move on to next fix, below.
Disable the Steam overlay
The Steam Overlay is an in-game interface that allows players to access many Steam Community features while playing. The overlay features are handy, but sometimes they may interfere with the game.
You can try disabling the Steam Overlay for Tormented Souls and see if the game crashes again:
- Launch Steam and navigate to the LIBRARY tab. right-click on Tormented Souls. Then select Properties.
- Uncheck Enable Steam Overlay while in-game.
If you’re using other apps with overlay features like Nvidia GeForce Experience, Discord, Twitch, etc., make sure you’ve disabled the in-game overlay in those apps feature before you restart the game.
Launch Tormented Souls and see if the game crashes. If the issue persists, try the next fix, below.
Temporarily Disable 3rd-party antivirus software
Many 3rd-party antivirus software have the real-time protection feature, which often blocks the game files. Sometimes this may lead to the game crashing issues.
You can try adding both the game folder and Steam as an exception to your third-party antivirus application, and turn off the real-time protection feature. If necessary, try temporarily disabling your 3rd party antivirus software before playing the game.
Launch Tormented Souls and check if this issue persists after you disabled the anti-virus software on your PC.
If this fix didn’t work, try the next fix to perform a clean boot.
Some players may try overclocking the CPU or turbo boost the graphics card to gain a better FPS. However, overclocking often cause the game to crash.
To reduce the frequency of game crashing issues, you should reset the CPU or the graphics card to the manufacturer specifications.
See if the game crashing issue persists.
Perform a clean boot
The game will crash if there is certain applications conlicting with it. You can perform a clean boot to find out the problematic application that crashes the game. Here’s how to do it:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to open the Run Dialog. Type msconfig and press Enter to open the System Configuration window.
- Navigate to the Services tab, check Hide all Microsoft services and then click Disable all.
- Select the Startup tab and click Open Task Manager.
- On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.
- Go back to the System Configuration window and click OK.
- Click Restart to restart your PC.
Restart your PC and run Tormented Souls to check whether the game crashes again. If not, you need to open the System Configuration window again to enable services and applications one by one until you find the problematic software.
Once you find out the problematic software that crashes Tormented Souls, you need to uninstall it to avoid game crashing issues in the future.
If the game still crashes after you disabled all the 3rd party apps and services, try reinstalling Tormented Souls. Normally, after reinstalling the game, you’ll be able to fix the crashing issue.
If these common fixes on this article didn’t help you fix the Tormented Souls crashing issue, you can also try investigating Windows crash logs to analyze and troubleshoot the causes of the crash. For more details, see the article: How to view crash logs in Windows 10.
Hopefully, one of the fixes in the article helped you resolve the Tormented Souls crashing issue. If you have any questions or suggestions on this issue, feel free to leave us a comment. Thanks for reading!