If you’re having problems with your camera and tried all these fixes that Microsoft suggested, the main cause is a corrupt, outdated, or incompatible webcam driver. You should update the webcam driver for Windows 10 to make sure your webcam always in tip-top condition.
What are webcam drivers?
Windows and your camera don’t speak the same language. Drivers are like interpreters between Windows and your devices. When you’re using your webcam, the driver takes the Windows command and translates it into something your camera can understand.
Similarly, if your camera needs to send some sort of response back to Windows, the driver translates the response into something Windows can understand.
Therefore, your camera or other devices may not work properly (they can’t talk anymore) if the driver is missing, outdated, or corrupted.
How to update webcam driver
If you have no idea how to update a webcam driver, we’ll walk you through the whole process of downloading and installing a new driver.
You can update your drivers either manually or automatically:
You’ll need some computer skills and patience to update your drivers this way because you need to find exactly the right driver online, download it and install it step by step.
This is the quickest and easiest option. It’s all done with just a couple of mouse clicks – easy even if you’re a computer newbie.
Option 1 – Manually
If you have time and computer skills, you can download the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website, and install them manually.
To get the correct webcam driver from the manufacturer’s website, you need first to find out the driver provider and your driver version. Here’s how:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to invoke the Run box.
- Type devmgmt.msc and click OK.
- Expand Imaging Devices (or Cameras), and you’ll see your webcam there.
- Right-click your webcam and select Properties.
- Go to the Driver tab, and you’ll see the Driver Provider, Driver Date, and Driver Version.
- Visit the manufacturer’s website such as Logitech Support, and enter your model name, such as Logitech C920.
- Go to the Downloads, and click the Download Now button next to the latest software.
- Run the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Connect your webcam, and it will detect your camera and download the driver automatically.
Option 2 – Automatically
If you don’t have time or patience to manually update drivers, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click the Update button next to the flagged driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
- Restart your computer for the changes to take full effect.
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at email@example.com.
Did the methods above solve your problem? Feel free to leave us a comment if you have any suggestions or questions.
Read More: How to fix Logitech C920 not working