Your Star Wars: Battlefront 2 keeps crashing? We’ve put together 8 fixes that have helped many gamers. In this guide, you’ll learn how to bring your game back to normal and what you can do to avoid bumping into the same issues again.
Before getting started
Before you head on to the following fixes, make sure your PC (how to check my PC specs?) meets the minimum requirements for Star Wars: Battlefield 2.
Windows 7 SP1/
Windows 10 or later
|Processor||AMD FX 6350|
Intel Core i5 6600K
|AMD FX 8350 Wraith|
Intel Core i7 6700 or equivalent
|Memory||8 GB RAM||16 GB RAM|
|Graphics||AMD Radeon™ HD 7850 2GB|
NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 660 2GB
|AMD Radeon™ RX 480 4GB|
NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1060 3GB
|DirectX||Version 11||Version 11|
|Storage||60 GB available space||60 GB available space|
Try these fixes
If “Yes my gear is up for running Star Wars: Battlefront 2“, here are 8 crashing fixes for you to try. You might not need to try them all; just work down the list until you find the one that does the trick.
- Repair your game
- Update your device drivers
- Reset Battlefront 2
- Revert to DX11
- Run as administrator
- Disable antivirus software temporarily
- Perform a clean boot
- Disable Discord In-Game Overlay
Fix 1: Repair your game
Most of the time, repairing your game does the trick. Your Battlefront 2 crashing may be caused by corrupted game files. If you haven’t tried this before, make sure you do this before you try the following fixes.
Before repairing your game, you’d better restart your computer and launch Origin or Steam.
1) Select My Game Library in Origin.
2) Right click your Star Wars: Battlefront 2.
3) Select Repair.
4) Wait for the process to complete.
Restart Origin and play your game to see if the crashing issue persists. If the game keeps crashing randomly, move on to the next fix.
1) Go to the Library tab.
2) Right click Star Wars: Battlefront 2 and select Properties from the menu.
3) Select LOCAL FILES tab and click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES… button.
4) Wait for the process to complete.
Restart Steam and play your Battlefront 2 again to test the issue. If the game keeps crashing randomly, you can repair the game manually.
Fix 2: Update your device drivers
A range of gaming problems such as crashing and freezing is caused by a wrong, faulty, or outdated graphics driver. Battlefront 2 is no exception. To keep your game work like a charm, you’ll need to update the graphics driver.
You can get the latest graphics driver from your graphics card’s manufacturer NVIDIA and AMD, who keep releasing new drivers to fix bugs and improve gaming performance. But if you don’t have the time, patience or skills to update the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to be troubled by the wrong driver you would be downloading, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any outdated or problem drivers. You’ll be amazed at how many updates you’ve missed out.
3) Click the Update button next to the flagged graphics card driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Click Update All to update all of your drivers automatically (feel free to try the Pro version, which comes with Full Support and a 30-day Money-Back Guarantee. You will be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at email@example.com.
4) Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Fix 3: Reset Battlefront 2
If you fail to stop your Battlefront 2 from crashing, you can try to reset your Battlefront 2 settings. Sometimes your game crashing can be triggered by certain settings. Here’s how to do it:
1) Quit Battlefront 2 and close Origin/Steam.
2) Go to %USERNAME%\Documents and delete the entire Star Wars: Battlefront II folder.
3) Play Battlefront 2 again to test the issue.
This fix works for most PC users, but if this doesn’t work for your case, don’t worry. There’re a few more fixes you can try.
Fix 4: Revert back to DX11
Many Battlefront 2 players find reverting to DX11 helps reduce random crashes. Here’s how to do it:
1) Go to %USERNAME%\Documents\STAR WARS Battlefront II\settings.
2) Right click BootOptions.ini file (if there is one), and select Edit with Notepad++.
3) Change GstRender.EnableDx12 1 to GstRender.EnableDx12 0 and save the file.
You should now be able to run this game without a hitch. If Battlefront 2 keeps crashing, you can enable DX12 again.
Fix 5: Run as administrator
When game keeps crashing, you can always run both your game launcher and game.exe file as administrator. To make sure your game runs smoothly, you can run your game as administrator permanently.
1) Right click Origin/Steam and select Properties.
2) Go to the Compatibility tab and select Run this program as administrator.
3) Click Apply > OK.
4) Go to your game installation folder and run your game exe file as administrator too.
This works for many PC players, but if it doesn’t do the trick for you, don’t be upset.
Fix 6: Disable antivirus software temporarily
Since Battlefront 2 consumes a lot of memory and CPU usage when it’s running, many third-party antivirus applications may regard it as a potential threat and cause Battlefront 2 crashing issues.
To see if this is the culprit of game crashes, you can disable your antivirus applications temporarily. Alternatively, you can add the entire Battlefront 2 folder to its list of exclusions.
If the game keeeps crashing, you can try the next fix.
Fix 7: Perform a clean boot
There might be some other conflicting services that stop your Battlefront 2 from working normally. To check if this is your issue, you’ll need to perform a clean boot.
1) Press Windows logo key and R at the same time to open the Run box.
2) Type msconfig and press Enter to open System Configuration.
3) Go to the Services tab and check the Hide all Microsoft services box. Then click Disable all.
4) Select the Startup tab and click Open Task Manager.
5) Under the Startup tab, select each startup item and then click Disable.
6) Go back to System Configuration, then click OK.
7) Restart your PC and laun your Battlefront 2 to see if the game launches normally.
If your game runs perfectly this time, congratulations! If you need to find the problematic software. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the System Configuration.
- Enable the service one by one (restart your PC and test the issue after enabling each service or start up) until you find the problematic one.
Fix 8: Disable Discord In-Game Overlay
If you’re using any programs with overlay feature such as Discord, disabling In-Game Overlay may help you reduce your random game crashes on your PC.
1. To disable it entirely
1) Open Discord and click Settings (the gear icon).
2) Navigate to Overlay tab on the left pane.
3) Toggle off Enable in-game overlay.
2. To disable it just for Battlefront 2
1) Click the Settings icon
2) Click on Games in the navigation bar
3) Toggle Star Wars: Battlefront 2 to Off.
Try playing your game again to see if the crashing still persist. If unfortunately not, you’ll probably need to do a clean reinstallation of Star Wars: Battlefront 2. Here’s how to do it quickly:
- Press Win + R to open the Run box.
- Type appwiz.cpl and hit Enter.
- Right click Star Wars: Battlefront 2 and select Uninstall.
After uninstalling, don’t forget to clear the roaming and local files. Press Windows logo key + R to bring out the Run box, then enter %appdata%. After that, delete the related game files in the Roaming folder. Also, go backward to AppData and clear the related game files in the Local file folder.
If reinstalling the game doesn’t help at all, you might need to wait for the latest game patch.