Disc/ DVD/ CD Drives Not Showing/ Missing on Windows 10 [SOLVED]
Also, it is nowhere to be seen in Device Manager.
You can’t even see the DVD/CD-ROM drives option when you choose to Show hidden devices.
You figure that it might be a driver issue so the first thing comes to you is to install a DVD/CD-ROM driver provided by the computer manufacturer. But the problem is, the chances for you to find such driver is very small, because DVD/CD-ROM driver is usually provided by Windows and it could take years for the computer manufacturer to provide the DVD/CD-ROM driver if they decide to produce any.
In this case, you might need to seek alternatives to get this problem fixed. This tutorial done on Windows 10 shows you how you could fix this problem by yourself.
How to fix DVD/CD drives missing problem in Windows 10?
Method One: Manually fix corrupted registry entries
Note: Before you use this method, it is recommended that you back-up and restore your registry first, just in case something went wrong.
1) Press WIN+R at the same time to invoke a Run command. Type in regedit and press Enter.
2) Follow the path
3) Look for UpperFilters and LowerFilters strings on the right side panel.
4) Right click them and choose Delete.
Method Two: Create a registry subkey
If you can’t see UpperFilters and LowerFilters in the Registry pane, please follow the steps below.
1) Open Registry again.
2) Follow the path
3) Right click on the blank space on the right panel, when the New option pops up, choose Key.
4) Create a new Controller0 key under atapi key.
5) Select the new Controller0 key. On the right side of the pane, right click on the blank space and choose DWORD(32-bit) Value.
6) Set the name as EnumDevice1 and press Enter. Then double click it to set the Value data as 1. Press OK to save the setting.
7) Exit Registry Editor.
8) Restart your computer.
Method Three: Uninstall IDE ATA/ ATAPI controllers
1) Go to Device Manager.
2) Locate IDE ATA/ ATAPI controllers category.
3) Right click the first option ATA Channel 0 and choose Uninstall.
4) Do the same with ATA Channel 1 option.
5) Still, repeat if you have more options under IDE/ ATAPI controllers category.
6) Reboot your computer after these changes.
Or you could press the Scan button on the top of the panel and let the system Scan for hardware changes for you.
7) Your computer will be able to help you with the detection of the DVD for Windows 10.
Method Four: Update the driver
If none of the above suggestions work, it is time for you to consider whether or not it has something to do with the driver. Since you cannot see the DVD/CD-ROM device in your device manager, updating the driver via Windows Update is out of the picture.
In this case, it is suggested that you give Driver Easy a shot.
Driver Easy is a program that helps you detect and update missing or outdated drivers with ease. With the help you Driver Easy, all you need to do is 1) scan for the out-dated or missing driver and 2) update the drivers needed.
The free version of it is equally powerful as the paid professional version. If you would like to enjoy more features and a much faster download speed, you could have a try at our professional version. If you are not satisfied with it, you could ask for a refund within 30 days.