When playing Fortnite on PC, you can’t talk to your mates because your mic doesn’t work in Fortnite? You’re not alone. Many Fortnite players have recently been reporting this issue. But don’t worry, it’s fixable! And in most cases, the fix is pretty fast and simple…
How to fix Fortnite mic not working?
Here are 5 methods that have helped many players get their mic working in Fortnite again. You don’t have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Set your microphone as your default device
- Update your audio driver
- Restart the Windows Audio service
- Allow apps to access your mic (Windows 10)
- Check for Windows updates
Many players got their mic working in Fortnite by setting their microphone as the default recording device on PC. You can follow these steps to try fixing your Fortnite mic not working issue:
- You need to disable Voice Chat in Fortnite first.
- In Fortnite, click the 3 lines on the top right, then select the cog icon to open the settings menu.
- At the top of the screen, click the speaker icon to view the Audio settings.
- Turn off Voice Chat, then click Apply at the bottom.
- Close Fortnite.
- Right-click the volume icon in the bottom-right part of your screen, then select Sounds.
- Click the Recording tab.
- Right-click on the device you want to use, and select Set as Default Device.
Note: You can try speaking into your microphone to test if it’s working properly. If it is, you should see a green bar rising next to it while you talk.
- Right click on and disable every other input device except the one you want to use. (If you have any other output devices, repeat for the Playback tab).
- Click OK.
- Open Fortnite again, go to the settings menu and turn Voice Chat on.
- Join a squad or duo to test if your mic works now. If not, try Method 2 below.
A missing or outdated audio driver may also stop mic from working in Fortnite. You can try updating your audio driver to better troubleshoot the problem.
There are two ways you can update your audio driver — manually and automatically.
Update your audio driver manually — You can update your driver manually by going to the hardware manufacturer’s website, and searching for the latest driver for your audio device. But if you take this approach, be sure to choose the driver that’s compatible with the exact model number of your hardware, and your version of Windows.
Update your audio driver automatically — If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy handles it all.
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click Update next to any flagged devices to automatically download the correct version of their drivers, then you can install them manually. Or click Update All to automatically download and install them all automatically. (This requires the Pro version — you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All. You get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee.)
- Restart your computer and check if your mic now works properly in Fortnite. If it doesn’t, contact Driver Easy’s support team at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance. They’d be happy to help you. Or you can move on to Method 3 below.
Another solution to your Fortnite mic not working problem would be restarting the Windows Audio service:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo keyand R at the same time to invoke the Run box.
- Type services.msc and click OK.
- Find and right-click on Windows Audio, then click Restart on the upper left.
- Close the Services window.
- Relaunch Fortnite to see if your mic is working now.
Many computers had a kind of privacy settings reset after a major Windows 10 update in April 2018, which may have caused Fortnite unable to access your microphone. You can check for it through Windows Settings. Here’s how:
- In the Windows search box, type Settings, then select the matching result.
- Click Privacy.
- In the left pane, click Microphone.
- In the right pane, click the Change button, and you’ll see your mic is turned on. Also make sure All apps to access your microphone is enabled:
- In the section of Choose which apps can access your microphone, verify that Fortnite is turned on.
- Test in Fortnitne.
If the above methods didn’t work for you, your Fortnite mic not working problem is probably being caused by system issues. Then, you can check for Windows updates.
- Type update in the Windows search box, then press Enter.
- Click check for updates in the pop-up window.
- Install all identified updates to troubleshoot the issue.
That’s it. You’re more than welcome to leave a comment below to share your results or any other suggestions.