As one of the most anticipated games of 2021, Amazon’s MMO New World is finally available now. However, many players have reported experiencing lag spikes or losing connection issues while playing New World. If you’re on the same boat and looking for solutions to this problem, this article is what you need.
Try these fixes
You might not need to try them all. Simply work your way down until you find the one that gives you luck.
- Restart your modem and router
- Switch to a wired connection
- Verify integrity of game files
- Update your network driver
- Check for Windows updates
- Close bandwidth-hogging applications
- Troubleshoot your firewall and antivirus
- Forward ports on your router
Fix 1: Restart your modem and router
When you experience lag or frequent disconnections while playing New World, one of the first things you should try is to restart your modem and router. This will allow your network devices to re-establish a fresh connection to your Internet Service Provider. Here’s how:
- Unplug the modem and router from the power outlet.
- Wait for 60 seconds.
- Plug the modem and router back into the power outlet. Make sure the indicators are back to their normal state.
Once you’re back online, launch New World and check the gameplay.
If the lag issues persist, move on to the next fix.
Fix 2: Switch to a wired connection
If you’re using a wireless connection while playing New World, you may encounter the lag issue due to wireless interference, weak wireless signal, etc. Switching to a wired connection can help you fix the potential problem and get a stable connection. Simply connect your computer to your modem or router with a cable. Besides, you can disable your computer’s wireless adapter to ensure it’s not being used. Here’s how:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R together to open the Run dialog box. Then type ncpa.cpl and click OK.
- In the pop-up window, right-click your wireless adapter and select Disable.
Note: You can enable your wireless network device by following the steps above, and then click Enable.
If you’re already using Ethernet, take a look at the next fix below.
Fix 3: Verify integrity of game files
If there are any missing or corrupted game files, you’re likely to experience many problems in-game, such as lag issues or frequent disconnections from the game. To fix it, you can verify the integrity of game files via Steam. Here’s how:
- Go to your Steam Library.
- Right-click New World and select Properties….
- Select the LOCAL FILES tab and then click Verify integrity of game files….
- Steam will verify the game’s files – this process may take several minutes.
Once the process is complete, launch New World to test the gameplay.
If the lag issues remain, check out the next fix.
Fix 4: Update your network driver
One common cause of the lag issue is that you’re using a faulty or outdated network driver. To fix the issue and enjoy New World without lagging, you need to make sure you’re using the latest network driver.
One way to do that is to visit the motherboard manufacturer’s website and search for your model, then download and install the network driver manually. But if you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your exact network adapter and your Windows version, then it will download and install it correctly.
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version — you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All. If you don’t want to upgrade to the Pro version, you can also update your drivers with the FREE version. All you need to do is to download them one at a time and manually install them.)
After updating your drivers, restart your computer and launch New World to check if your problem is resolved.
If this fix doesn’t do the trick, proceed to the next one.
Fix 5: Check for Windows updates
Windows constantly releases new updates to tackle compatibility issues with new programs. By installing the Windows updates, you’ll get the latest fixes and security improvements, which might help you resolve the lagging issue with New World. To check for Windows updates:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and I at the same time to open the Windows Settings. Then select Update & Security.
- Under Windows Update, click Check for updates. Windows will automatically download and install the available updates.
Once you’ve installed all the updates, restart your computer and check if New World lags again.
If the lagging issue persists, try the next fix below.
Fix 6: Close bandwidth-hogging applications
The applications running in the background could take up a high amount of bandwidth and cause lag issues in your game. So make sure you’ve closed the bandwidth-hogging applications while playing New World. To do so:
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl, Shift and Esc at the same time to open the Task Manager.
- Under the Processes tab, click Network to filter applications by their network usage, then right-click the bandwidth-hogging applications and select End task.
Once done, try launching New World again to see if the lag issue still occurs.
If this method doesn’t work for you, continue to the next fix.
Fix 7: Troubleshoot your firewall and antivirus
Sometimes your Windows Firewall and antivirus can prevent certain applications from working properly. To see if that’s the case, you can try temporarily disabling your firewall and antivirus or adding the game to the exclusions list.
To add Windows firewall exceptions manually:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to invoke the Run dialog box. Type firewall.cpl and click OK.
- In the pop-up window, click Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall.
- Click Change settings and then click Allow another app….
- In the new window, click Browse… to locate and select NewWorldLauncher.exe, and then click Add.
- Once you’ve done that, make sure that New World has check marks under both the Private and Public columns.
Steps for whitelisting the game in your antivirus vary, you can check the manufacturer’s support page for help.
If the lag issue still occurs after disabling your security software, check out the last fix.
Fix 8: Forward ports on your router
If none of the fixes above helps you solve the lagging issue, you can try opening the necessary ports on your router to allow traffic between your network and game servers. This method has been proven useful for some players. So we suggest you give it a shot.
Directions for forwarding ports are specific to the make and model of the router you’re using. If you don’t know how to do that, you can refer to the router’s manual or manufacturer’s website.
Ports to forward for New World:
TCP: 80, 443
So these are the fixes to your New World lag and connectivity issue. Hopefully, this post helped. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to leave us a comment below.