If your Radeon software won’t open and shows ‘Radeon software and driver versions do not match‘, you’re not alone. This message occurs when you update your AMD graphics driver to a more recent version. The good news is that you can fix it quite easily with our step-by-step guide.
Try these fixes
Here are a few fixes that have helped other users resolve their ‘Radeon software and driver versions do not match’ problem. You may not need to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Update the Radeon Settings Application
- Change the driver version in Registry
- Update your device drivers with Driver Easy (Recommended)
Fix 1. Update the Radeon Settings Application
The main cause of this error message is that the driver version doesn’t match your software (not updated to the latest version). To solve this issue, you’ll need to uninstall the current software first, and install the new AMD Radeon Settings Lite from Windows Store:
1. On your keyboard, press the Windows + R key to open the Run box.
2. Type appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
3. Right-click AMD Software from the list and select Uninstall.
4. Click Yes to proceed.
5. Open your Windows Store and search for AMD Radeon Settings Lite.
6. Download the application.
7. Once installed, restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Fix 2. Change the driver version in Registry
The driver version in the AMD software Registry may not be the same as the driver installed. Therefore, another solution is to change the driver version there to the current driver version. Here’s how:
1. In the Search bar, type dxdiag and select dxdiag.
2. Select the Display tab (you may have more than one tab if you’re using multiple displays).
3. In the Drivers section (on the right), note down the Version in your notepad or the like.
4. In the Search bar, type regedit and select Registry Editor.
5. Click Yes to grant administrative permission to make changes.
6. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AMD\CN.
7. Double-click DriverVersion, and paste the version value you get from step 3 earlier into the box.
8. Click OK to save the changes.
9. Restart your computer and check if the error message ‘Radeon software and driver versions do not match’ has gone.
Fix 3. Update your device drivers with Driver Easy
All your driver-related problems, including this error message ‘Radeon software and driver versions do not match’ can be easy to fix.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for your graphics card, and your Windows version, and then it will download and install them correctly. You won’t need the Radeon software to keep your graphics driver up to date.
1. Download and install Driver Easy.
2. Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3. Click the Update button next to the flagged AMD graphics driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
4. Once the driver is updated, reboot your PC for the changes to take effect.
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There you have it – three possible fixes to your ‘Radeon software and driver versions do not match’ issue. If unluckily, the problem persists, you can submit a support ticket to our professional support team (Pro users first), and they will get in touch right away and fix your problems within one or two working days.