Many PC players have reported getting Error 4201 on Genshin Impact, which prevents them from even logging into the game. The error message may state “Failed to connect, please check your network settings” or “Failed to connect to the server.” If you’re on the same boat, no worries! We’ve got some working fixes that you can try, just read on and find out what they are.
Try these fixes…
You don’t have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that does the trick!
Fix 1: Check your Internet connection
Error 4201 is a connection issue, so the first thing you should check is to make sure your Internet is working fine. Here’s a few things that you can do to check your Internet connection:
- If you’re playing Genshin impact on Wi-Fi, you’ll likely encounter Error 4201, and other possible network issues due to instability or overcrowding. If possible, play on a wired connection.
- You can power cycle your router and modem to see if it helps. Unplug the power cables from both devices, leave them disconnected for at least 30 seconds, then plug the cables back into both devices.
- If you can only access Wi-Fi, then you need to make sure your Wi-Fi connection is valid. You can disconnect your PC from Wi-Fi, and connect to your mobile hotspot to test the issue. If the error is gone, then there’s something wrong with your Wi-Fi.
- When your connection seems to be slow and you doubt it’s the cause, you can use an online tool to test your Internet speed. If your Internet speed turns out to be unreasonably low, consider contacting your ISP (Internet Service Provider) for assistance.
If your Internet connection is valid and reliable but you still get Error 4201 on Genshin Impact, try the next fix.
Fix 2: Run the game executable as Admin
Another possible cause of Error 4201 is the game being blocked on your PC. If Genshin Impact is blocked on your PC, it won’t be able to connect to the server. You may need to give administrative permissions to Genshin Impact on your PC, and it’s important to do this to the game executable itself instead of the game shortcut. Here’s how:
- Open your Genshin Impact installed path, then go to Genshin ImpactGenshin Impact Game.
- Find the game executable file, right-click it then select Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab, and check the box of Run this program as an administrator. Then click Apply and OK.
If running the game executable as Admin doesn’t solve your problem, try the next fix.
Fix 3: Check your VPN
VPN seems to be a cause of Error 4201 on Genshin Impact, but it could also be a fix to this issue. No matter if you use VPN for Genshin Impact or not, you can refer to this fix to solve your problem.
Many players would use VPN for Genshin Impact, but it turned out to be causing Error 4201 for some players. This is because Mihoyo may detect VPN connections and block your game instead. If you also use a VPN for this game, try disabling it and test the issue.
On the other hand, VPN solved some players’ problems when they encountered geo-blocking or IP-blocking from Mihoyo out of security concerns. If you’ve never used a VPN for Genshin Impact, try using one and test if the error is gone. If you need VPN recommendations, our best pick is NordVPN, one of the most reliable and fastest VPN services on the market.
If disabling or using a VPN doesn’t solve your problem, try the next fix.
Fix 4: Configure DNS settings
Your ISP’s (Internet Service Provider) default DNS server is not always the best. There are many public DNS servers that are safe and good for gaming. Using the Quad9 DNS may help solve Error 4201 on Genshin Impact, and it already helped many players with this issue, so it’s worth trying. Here’s how:
- On your taskbar, right-click the network icon, then click Open Network & Internet settings.
- Click Change adapter options.
- Right-click the network you’re using, then click Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), then click Properties.
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses, fill in the Quad9 DNS server addresses as below, then click OK.
Preferred DNS server: 126.96.36.199
Alternate DNS server: 188.8.131.52
If configuring DNS settings doesn’t solve your problem, try the last fix.
Fix 5: Update your network adapter driver
If you’ve tried the fixes above but nothing worked, you may try to update your network adapter driver. Making sure your network adapter driver is working properly could help solve Error 4201 on Genshin Impact.
There are two ways you can get the right driver for your network adapter: manually or automatically.
Manual driver update – You can update your network adapter driver via Device Manager. Just note that the Windows database is not updated as frequently, so you may actually need a driver update but Device Manager can’t detect any.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience, or computer skills to update your driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your network adapter, and your Windows version, then it will download and install them correctly:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the network adapter driver to automatically download the correct version of the driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. For example, you can update your graphics driver as well (see as below.)
(This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember to restart your PC for the new drivers to take effect.
Hopefully this article solves your problem and you don’t get Error 4201 on Genshin Impact anymore! Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions or suggestions.