If your printer has stopped working, and you’re seeing a Driver is unavailable error in Windows, then you’ve come to the right place.
This frustrating problem is usually caused by an incorrect or corrupt printer driver, and it should be pretty easy to fix.
Try these fixes…
A corrupt or incompatible driver is the most likely cause of the driver unavailable error. It’s also the easiest problem to fix. You just uninstall your current driver, then install the most up-to-date correct driver. Here’s how…
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R together to invoke the Run box.
2) Type devmgmt.msc and click OK. (Don’t worry if your screens look slightly different from those illustrated below. We’ve shown screenshots from Windows 10, but this fix works on Windows 7 too.)
3) Find and right-click on your printer. Then click Uninstall device.
4) Click Uninstall if you’re prompted to confirm.
5) Download and install Driver Easy. It will automatically recognize your system, and find and install the correct printer driver for it, along with any other drivers that need updating. (Or, if you’d prefer, you can download and install the necessary driver manually. To do this, you have to visit your printer manufacturer’s website, locate the correct driver for your printer model and version of Windows, then download and install it.)
6) Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
7) Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. You need the Pro version of Driver Easy to do this. Don’t worry; it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so if you don’t like it, you can get a full refund, no questions asked. (Alternatively, if you’re comfortable manually installing drivers, you can click ‘Update’ next to your printer in the free version to automatically download the correct driver. Once it’s downloaded, you can manually install it.)
8) Restart your computer and try to print a file to see if your printer works. If it does, congratulations, you’ve resolved your problem! If it doesn’t, move on to Fix 2 below.
If it’s been a while since you last did a Windows Update, that might be why Windows says your printer driver is unavailable. Here’s how to do a Windows Update to install all available operating system updates…
1) Click the Start menu and type update. Then click Check for updates.
2) Click Check for updates.
3) Windows will then install the updates automatically.
4) After Windows completes all updates, restart your computer and try to print a file to see if your printer works.
1) Click the Start button, type update in the search box and click Check for updates.
2) Click Check for updates.
3) Click Install updates.
4) After Windows has installed all the updates, restart your computer and try to print a file to see if your printer works.
Hopefully one of the above fixes resolved your problem. If it didn’t, or if you found another fix entirely, please let us know in the comments below.