Are you a PC gamer who cares most about visual experience but feels reluctant to fiddle with all the driver update stuff? If the answer is yes, and you happen to use the GTX 1660 graphics cards, then you’ve come to the right place.
Here we’d like to inform you that Nvidia has recently released a new driver for GTX 1660 and GTX 1660 Ti that enables them to run ray tracing technology. Can’t wait to experience the marvelous tech in games? Please read on to see what’s new for you.
About GTX 16 series & ray tracing technology
The GTX 16 series graphics cards include GTX 1660 Ti, GTX 1660, and their latest release – GTX 1650. Based on Nvidia Turing architecture, the GTX 16 series boast of midrange game performance and a relatively low price.
As budget graphics cards, the GTX 16 series don’t support ray tracing tech due to the lack of RT (Race Tracing) cores. But the good news is that Nvidia has now released a new driver that remedies this shortcoming.
Ray tracing tech is undoubtedly a breakthrough in computer graphics, bringing realistic lighting, shadows and effects to games. With Nvidia’s new driver, you can now switch on ray tracing effects within a batch of games that adopt ray tracing such as Battlefield Ⅴ and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
Not many games are available for now, but more members will definitely join the “ray tracing” family in the future. So don’t hesitate to update your drivers from now on!
How to update the latest GTX 1660 driver
We provide you with two ways to update your GTX 1660 driver, either automatic or manual. If you’re not so familiar with how to search for the correct driver online and download it into the computer, we strongly suggest you try the first and better option. Anyway, it’s all up to you!
Option 1: Update your driver automatically (Recommended)
If you’re an experienced PC gamer, you may say “I know how to download and install all the drivers I need, so why should I have my drivers updated automatically? ” Good point, but do you know how much time you’ve spent on this fiddly work? 15 minutes, 1 hour, or even more – it depends on your computer skills, network status, and many other factors. So why not rely on a third-party driver updater to save your precious time?
Or if you’re a computer newbie, you’ll get even more benefits from a driver updater for it not only saves your time but also helps you fix any problems you may have during the updating process.
Here we recommend Driver Easy as your go-to option. It’s a tool that detects, downloads and (if you go Pro) installs any driver updates your computer needs. With its help, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy takes care of it all.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks:
1) Download and Install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All). Or if you just want to update the GTX 1660 driver for now, simply click on the Update button next to it.
You can do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual. Please refer to this post that helps you update drivers with the FREE version:
Option 2: Update your driver manually
If you feel like updating the GTX 1660 driver with your own hands, here’s the guide for you.
1) Find your way to the Nvidia Download Page, or you can simply click on the site we offer you here.
2) Select the right information according to your own PC version. Then click START SEARCH.
3) Here’s some of the results from Nvidia. Click on the result of Version 425.31 which was released on April 11, 2019. (You can also download other drivers that meet your demands, but the Version 425.31 driver is designed mainly for ray tracing tech.)
4) Notice that there’s a DOWNLOAD button in the upper area of the description page. Now click on the button.
5) Open the folder where you’ve just downloaded the driver files. Double-click on the application that helps you update the driver.
6) Now you just need to follow the on-screen instructions to finish the whole installation process. What’s more, don’t forget to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect even if you’re not asked to.
Hopefully you find this article useful. If you have any problems or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below. Thanks for reading!