Uninstall the Problematic Sound Driver
You may see a yellow mark next to the sound device in Device Manager. Uninstalling the problematic sound driver may fix the problem, because after uninstalling the driver, Windows will provide a generic audio driver automatically.
Follow steps below.
1. Press Win+R (Windows logo key and R key) at the same time. A Run dialog box will appear.
2. Type devmgmt.msc in the run box and click OK button. This is to open Device Manager Window.
3. In Device Manager, expand category “Sound, video and game controllers“.
Under this category, right-click on your sound card device name. A context menu will pop up. Then select Uninstall.
Note: Some devices with problematic driver can be listed under Category “Other Devices”. So if you do not see sound device under “Sound, video and game controllers”, check and see if it is under “Other Devices”.
4. You may be required to confirm the uninstallation. Check the box next to “Delete the driver software for this device” and click OK button.
You can go to Dell’s website or the sound card manufacturer’s website to download the right driver. It is recommended that you check for the driver in Dell’s website first, as Dell may customize the driver in order to make it work best in Dell computers.
5. Reboot your computer, then Windows will install the sound driver automatically.
If Windows doesn’t install the sound driver successfully, try updating the driver.
How to Update the Audio Driver
There are two ways you can use to update the audio driver.
Download and install the driver from manufacturers
Before you get started, ensure that you know the PC model or the sound card model and the specific operating system (Windows 7 32-bit or Windows 64-bit).
Update the driver using Driver Easy
If you have problem with updating the driver manually, you can use Driver Easy to help you, which is a driver update tool compatible with Windows 7. Driver Easy can scan your computer to detect all problem drivers in your computer. It will detect the problem sound driver and find new driver for you automatically. To download the driver, all you need to do is click your mouse 2 times.
Driver Easy has Free version and Professional version. With Professional version, you can even update all drivers with just one simple click. Just click here to download Driver Easy and use it to help update the sound driver quickly.