Your audio or sound is not working on PC? Don’t worry. There are solutions to fix your PC sound not working issue.
Why is sound on PC not working? The connection problem can cause the issue. Meanwhile, your incorrect audio settings in your computer can be the reason, since your sound won’t be working if your audio is set wrong.
To rule it out the cause of the sound problem in your PC and resolve your issue, you can follow the instructions below.
Try these solutions:
Here are some fixes you can try. You don’t have to try them all; just work your way down the list until your sound gets working again.
- Make sure your volume is not muted
- Check the hardware problem
- Run Hardware and Sound troubleshooter
- Update your sound card driver
- Configure the audio settings in your PC
- Make sure Windows Audio service is running
Fix 1: Make sure your volume is not muted
As we know, if your volume is muted, you won’t be able to hear any sound from your PC. So make sure your volume is not muted.
In addition, sometimes your sound is not working if your volume is set minimum. With that being said, drag your volume slider to maximum and play any sound to see if it works.
If your sound starts working again, then you should have found and fixed your problem.
If your sound is not working, try the following solutions.
Fix 2: Check the hardware problem
Your hardware issues can cause your sound not working on PC.
1. Check the speaker on your computer
Simply take a look at the speaker on your computer and see whether there is anything covering upon the speaker, which could cause no sound on your computer. Make sure there is no dust or cloth that can cover the sound on your computer.
2. Check the headphone jack
You should check the headphone jack if you’re connecting headphone to your PC. Look inside the headphone jack see if there is any obstacle that may stop the headphone from working properly.
If there is, clean the jacks with a cotton swab or soft brush. Push it into the jack and swirl it around a little bit to get the dust and lint out.
3. Check your headset
If your PC is connecting to your headphone, you should also take a look at your headphone to make sure that the devices are working normally.
You can disconnect your headphone, then see there is any sound from your PC. If yes, it seems to be an issue with your headset, so you can replace with a headphone that works.
If your sound is still not working, it should be a problem with your PC. Continue with the methods below.
Fix 3: Run Hardware and Sound troubleshooter
The Hardware and Sound troubleshooter scans your PC and provides solutions for detected issues. So you can run the troubleshooter and see if it helps with your sound problem.
Here’s what you can do:
- Type Control Panel in the search box on your PC, and click Control Panel in the list.
- Ensure to view by large icons or small icons. Click Troubleshooting.
- Click Hardware and Sound.
- Click Playing Audio.
- Ensure to check the box next to Apply repairs automatically. Then click Next.
- Select your audio device that you want to troubleshoot, then click Next.
- Wait for a while for the troubleshooting to be completed, and follow the on-screen instructions to finish it.
Then try playing any sound in your PC and see if it works.
Fix 4: Update your sound card driver
If your sound card driver is missing or outdated, you’ll have the sound problems on PC, so you should update your sound card driver to the latest version.
There are two ways to update your driver: manually and automatically.
Manual driver update – You can go to the website of your audio card manufacturer, find the latest correct driver for your sound card, then download and install it manually into your computer. This requires time and computer skills.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have time or patience, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Open Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Driver Easy will then scan the problem drivers in your computer.
- Click the Update button next to the flagged devices to automatically download the correct version of their driver (you can do this with the FREE version). Then install it in your computer.
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All and get a 30-day money back guarantee).
- Restart your computer to take effect.
Test and see if PC sound starts working.
If the sound problem still persists, don’t worry. There are other solutions.
Fix 5: Configure the audio settings in your PC
Improper audio settings in your computer can also cause your sound not working. So you should check the following audio settings to fix your sound problem.
To do so:
- Right click the volume icon at the bottom right corner, and click Playback devices. (If there is no Playback devices in the right-click context menu, click Sounds).
- In the Playback tab, right click on any empty area and check the box next to Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.
- Select your audio device and click Set Default.
Ensure there’s a green check next to your audio device.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Test and see if there is any sound from your speaker.
If it works now, then your problem should have been resolved.
If not, continue these steps:
- On the same Playback pane, select your audio device and click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab. In the Default Format section, choose different audio rate and click Test to see if there’s sound.
Try different audio format until you find the one that works.
Still no luck? Okay, there’s one more thing to try.
Fix 6: Make sure Windows Audio service is running
The Windows Audio service manages audio for Windows-based programs. If this service is stopped or disabled, audio services and effects won’t function normally. So make sure the Windows Audio service is enabled and running. Here’s how to check:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to invoke the Run box.
- Type services.msc and click OK.
- Scroll down and double click Windows Audio.
- Ensure the Startup type is set to Automatic, and Service status is Running.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Restart your PC and check your sound works or not.
So there you go. Hope this post serves its purpose and fixes your PC sound not working problem. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below and we’ll see what more we can do.