If you just updated to a new version or build of Windows 10, or did a reformatted your computer, and you find that your screen resolution is terrible, you’re not alone. Many Windows 10 users are reporting this problem. In fact, this is not a unique problem for Windows 10 users, it happened on Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 before.
If you look deeper in Device Manager, you will see that the item listed under the Display adapters category is Microsoft Basic Display Driver, as opposed to the name of your graphics card model.
You may wonder, what happens to my graphics card, and why can’t I see it anymore? No worries, this problem is not at all hard to fix. And we’re here to help.
How To Fix graphics card shows as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Here are 4 fixes that have helped other users resolve the graphics card shows as Microsoft Basic Display Driver issue. You may not have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
One of the reasons for this is that Windows has yet to provide you with the proper driver update after your operating system upgrade. So you may need to run the update on your own.
Here is how ho run Windows Updates:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and I at the same time, then click Update & security.
2) Click Check for updates.
3) Check to see if there is a graphics driver available. If yes, then great – just run the update and you’ll automatically fix the problem. If Windows doesn’t provide you with a graphics driver update, please move on to Fix 2, below.
This problem may occur if you are using the wrong graphicsdriver or it’s out of date. So you should update your graphics driver to see if it fixes your problem. If you don’t have the time, patience or skills to update the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to be troubled by the wrong driver you would be downloading, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy handles it all.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 steps (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of ALL the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
4) Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
5) Check to see if the graphics driver shows as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter issue has been resolved. If yes, then congrats! If the issue persists, please try Fix 3, below.
If updating your graphics card driver doesn’t help to solve the problem, you may need to consider getting your graphics card replaced, as it might be faulty.
Note that certain series of display card products are not certified to support Windows Display Driver Model 1.2 or higher, and therefore, do not have driver support for Windows 10.
Therefore, it is suggested that you change your current display driver to a more advanced one. You may need to consult professional advice on how to select a good graphics card for your computer.
If you are not ready to make a new investment by purchasing a brand new graphics card for your PC, here is your alternative: downgrade your Windows 10 to its previous version, be it Windows 8 or Windows 7.
For more information as to how to downgrade your current operating system to its previous one, please refer to this post here: How to downgrade your Windows 10 to Windows 7/ 8.1?
Hopefully you have successfully resolved the graphics driver shows as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter issue by now. If you have any questions, ideas or suggestions, please let me know in the comments. Thanks for reading!