Sound is not working on Fortnite? Actually, there are a few known reasons. And a few fixes that work for most users…
How to fix Fortnite sound not working in Windows
Here are 4 fixes that have helped other users resolve the no sound in Fortnite problem. You may not have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
Fix 1: Set the default playback device
This problem may occur if the sound output or input device is not set as default playback device on your computer. So you should make sure to set the right playback device to see if it fixes the issue.
Here’s how to do it:
1) Exit Fortnite.
2) Unplug your sound devices from your PC and plug them back in.
3) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo keyand R at the same time, then type control panel and press Enter to open Control Panel.
4) In View by, select Large icons. Then click Sound.
5) In the Playback tab, click on the device you use, and then click Set default.
3) Click the Recording tab, then make sure your microphone device is set as default.
4) Open Fortnite and check to see if the no sound problem is resolved. If yes, then great! If the problem remains, please try Fix 2, below.
Fix 2: Adjust in-game settings
Once you make sure to have the right playback devices set as default in Windows, you should also make sure the in-game audio settings are right.
Here is how to adjust Fortnite game settings:
1) In Fortnite, click the Menu icon.
2) Click SETTINGS.
3) Click the sound icon. Then make sure Voice Chat and Push To Talk are both set On. In Voice Chat Input Device and Voice Chat Output Device, make sure the devices are the ones you’ve set in Fix 1. Once one, click Apply to save the changes.
4) Open Fortnite to see if the no sound on Fortnite issue is fixed. If yes, then congrats! If the issue persists, please move on to Fix 3, below.
Fix 3: Update your audio driver
Another common cause of this problem is an outdated or a faulty audio driver. So you should update your audio driver to see if it fixes your problem. If you don’t have the time, patience or skills to update the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to be troubled by the wrong driver you would be downloading, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy handles it all.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 steps (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of ALL the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
4) Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
5) Start a new game in Fortnite and see if you got sounds back. If yes, then great – you’ve solved the no sound issue! If it’s still no joy, please try Fix 4, below.
Fix 4: Update DirectX
DirectX is a suite of components in Windows that allows heavy multimedia apps such as games to interact with your video and audio cards. If you’re running an old version of DirectX, it’s possible that it won’t be able to handle the processing task, which might cause the no sound in Fortnite error. So you should update DirectX to the latest version to see if it fixes the issue.
If you’re not sure which version of DirectX your computer is running, or how to update DirectX, please refer to this quick guide.
Once you’ve updated DirectX, check to see if the sound issues on Fortnite have been fixed.
Hopefully you have successfully resolved the sound not working on Fortnite issue by now. If you have any questions, ideas or suggestions, please let me know in the comments. Thanks for reading!