Are you looking for the latest driver for your Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad? If the answer is “yes,” then you’ve come to the right place. As we all know, drivers can ensure the normal operation of your devices but the process of downloading and installing drivers can be quite fiddly sometimes. Don’t worry, here we’ll show you how to update your Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad driver step by step.
There’re two ways you can update your driver:
Option 1 – Automatically (recommended):This is the quickest and easiest option. It’s all done with just a couple of mouse clicks – easy even you’re a computer newbie.
Option 2 – Manually:You’ll need some computer skills and patience to update your driver this way, because you need to find exactly the right driver online, download it and install it step by step.
Option 1: Automatically update your
Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad driver (recommended)
If you don’t have the time, patience, or computer skills to update the Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy takes care of everything.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All). Or if you just want to update the Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad driver for now, simply click the Update button next to it.
Note: you can do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual.
Option 2: Manually update your Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad driver
If you feel like updating your Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad driver manually, here’s the simple and useful guide for you.
Update your driver via official websites
Synaptics have made an announcement on their official website that the corresponding drivers for TouchPad devices are “customized and supported by notebook manufacturers to meet specific driver requirements for their individual products.” So if you want to download the driver from official websites and then install it by yourself, you’ll need to visit the site of your notebook manufacturer. For instance, if you’re using a Dell laptop, you should go directly to Dell’s website and download the driver from it.
Update your driver via Device Manager
One of the most commonly used methods to update your driver is downloading and installing it from Device Manager. However, you should note that sometimes Windows may fail to detect the latest (and even necessary) driver for your device. In this way, you’ll have to search for the correct driver online or simply turn to Option 1.
Here’re the steps to update your driver via Device Manager:
1) Press the Windows Logo Key and R at the same time to invoke the Run dialog box. Then type devmgmt.msc and click OK.
2) Here comes the window of Device Manager. Double-click on the Mice and other pointing devices category to expand its drop-down list. Then right-click Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad.
3) In the context menu of Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad, select Update driver.
4) Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
5) Wait till the download and installation process finishes.
6) Click Close when it’s all done.
7) Now your driver has been updated by Windows successfully. Don’t forget to restart your computer for the changes to take effect even if you’re not asked to.
Hopefully you find this post useful. Please feel free to leave a comment below if you have any further questions or ideas. Thanks for reading!