“The device is being used by another application. Please close any devices that are playing audio to this device and then try again.”
The issue would occur mostly because the hdmi audio driver installed on your computer is corrupted. So to fix the issue, try rolling back the driver or updating the driver.
Roll Back the HDMI Audio Driver to Previous Version
It has been reported by many people like AMD, Intel Graphics card users that this method helped resolve their hdmi audio driver problems. To roll back the driver, follow these steps:
1. Go to Device Manager.
2. Expand category “Sound, video and game controllers” and right-click on the audio device and select Properties. You may notice there are more than one audio device under this category. Choose the right HDMI output device according to the graphics card that you are using (HDMI output is usually on the graphics card).
3. Go to Driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver button. Note you will need to provide administrator permission to perform this. Mare sure to log in to Windows as an administrator. (If the Roll Back Driver button is grey out, try the next method.)
4. Restart your PC and see if this resolves the sound issue.
Update Roll Back the HDMI Audio Driver
Rolling back to previously installed driver may doesn’t work. In this case, try updating the driver.
You can go to the PC manufacturer’s website to download the latest driver. Before you get started, ensure that you know the PC model and the operating system that you are using (See How to Quickly Get Operating System Version).
If you have difficulty downloading drivers manually, you can use Driver Easy to help you. Driver Easy can scan your computer and detect all problem drivers, then give you new drivers. It has Free version and Professional version. Both versions can be used to download drivers automatically. With the Professional version, you will get higher download speed and enjoy full features. To update the driver, all you need to do is click your mouse 2 times.
1. Click Scan Now button. Then Driver Easy will scan your computer and give you new drivers instantly.
2. Click Update button. Then the driver will be downloaded and installed automatically. If you want to update all drivers at a time, click the Update All button.
Driver Easy provides 30-day money back guarantee and free expert tech support guarantee. You can contact us for further assistance regarding the HDMI issue, and get a full refund for any reason.