Headset Mic Not Working [FIXED]
Many headset users are reporting that their headset microphone is not working properly. They can’t talk to people on the microphone.
If you’re experiencing this problem, don’t worry. You should be able to fix the problem quite easily using one of the solutions we’ve listed below.
Fixes to try
You may not have to try them all. Just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Allow access to your headset microphone (for Windows 10 users)
- Check your microphone device settings
- Update your audio drivers
- Troubleshoot hardware issues
You should allow your Windows 10 system and your application to access your headset microphone before you can use it. To check this:
- Click the Start button in the lower left corner of your screen, then click the Settings icon.
- Click Privacy.
- Click Microphone.
- Click the Change button, then make sure Microphone for this device is turned on.
- Make sure Allow apps to access your microphone is turned on.
Hopefully this fixes your microphone issue. But if not, there are still three fixes you can try.Fix 2: Check your microphone device settings
Your headset mic may be disabled or not set as the default device on your computer. Or the microphone volume is so low that it can’t record your sound clearly. To check these settings:
- Hold down the Windows logo key and press the R key on your keyboard at the same time to bring up the Run dialog, then type “control” and press Enter.
- In Control Panel, select Large icons from the View by drop down menu.
- Select Sound.
- Select the Recording tab, then right click on any empty place inside the device list and tick Show Disabled Devices.
- Right click the Headset Microphone and click Enable.
- Right click it again and select Set as Default Device.
- Right click Headset Microphone and click Properties.
- Click the Levels tab, then drag the volume slider towards the largest value.
- Click OK, then click OK.
Now that the microphone of your headset is enabled and set as the default device, and you’ve turned up your microphone volume, try it and see if it works. If it does, then you’ve solved the problem.
The mic on your headset won’t work if you’re using an incorrect or outdated audio or headset driver. So you should update the driver to see if that fixes the issue.
You can update your driver manually or automatically. The manual process is time consuming, technical and risky, so we won’t cover it here. Nor do we recommend it unless you have excellent computer knowledge.
Updating your driver automatically, on the other hand, is very easy. Simply install and run Driver Easy, and it will automatically find all the devices on your PC that need new drivers, and install them for you. Here’s how to use it.
- Download and install Driver Easy.
Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click the Update button next to your sound device or your headset to download the latest and correct driver for it.
You can also click the Update All button at the bottom right to automatically update all outdated or missing drivers on your computer. (This requires the Pro version — if you don’t already have it, you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
Once you’ve updated the driver for your audio devices, restart your computer. Then log in again and see if the microphone is working.
If your headset microphone is still not working, it’s likely there are hardware issues with your computer or your headset. In this case, there are a few things you need to do.
First, try connecting your headset to another port on your computer. This will resolve any problems you might be experiencing due to the port you’re using.
If changing the port doesn’t work for you, connect your headset to another computer and see if this fixes your microphone. If it does, then you should contact the vendor of your computer for advice.
If nothing above helps you, the issues may be on your headset. Then you should contact your headset manufacturer for support or have your headset serviced.