Fix HDMI No Sound in Windows 10
After you upgrade system to Windows 10, if the external monitor like TV connected to PC via HDMI has no sound, you can follow instructions here to troubleshoot the problem. The problem occurs may be due to software issues, system configuration issues or hardware device issues. So you can troubleshoot the problem from these ways.
Firstly, check if all hardware devices work properly
1. Check if the cable has problem. You can try connecting the monitor with PC by using another cable and see if the problem resolves.
2. Check if the output port works fine. If your PC has multiple HDMI output ports, try different port and see if the problem resolves.
3. Check if the monitor works properly. Make sure the monitor’s speaker volume is not turned down or muted. Then try connecting the monitor to another PC.
If you ensure that all hardware devices have no problem, try solutions below.
Solution1: Set HDMI Device as Default Device
Follow steps below:
1. Right-click on sound volume icon in the lower right corner of Windows. A context menu will pop up.
2. Select Playback devices from the context menu.
3. In the Playback tab, select Digital Output Device or HDMI option. Click Set Default and click OK. Then the HDMI sound output will be set as default.
If you do not see the Digital Output Device or HDMI option in the Playback tab, right click on the blank place, then click Show disconnected devices and Show disabled devices on the context menu. Then set it as default device.
Solution 2: Update the Sound Driver
Your hdmi no sound problem is probably being caused by driver issues. The steps above may resolve it, but if they don’t, or you’re not confident playing around with drivers manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to a flagged audio driver to automatically download and install the correct version of this driver (you can do this with the FREE version). Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
Hope the instructions here helps you resolve the problem.